Replacements not accurate - midi in not accurate - ... ??!!!

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

acecake69

Replacements not accurate - midi in not accurate - ... ??!!!

Post by acecake69 »

Hi everybody,

I've been working with drumagog for some years now,
and I've been having a problem ever since.
As my earliest projects weren't that significant,
I could overlook and cope with it,
but now, ever since I've been running a professional studio,
the small glitches in this tool kinda make me wanna kill someone.
The thing is;
if I trigger an audiotrack and listen to the sample being played,
it's fine.... if I try the blend option or bounce it to a new track to mix it
with the original audio, it just isn't accurate; one outta five hits gives me a small flam-phasing sound.... it's just shifting back and fort around the hit...
I then have to manually overlook and listen to all the hits and adjust the ones that aren't accurate... which takes friggin forever when u'r producing a
full-length metal album.....
I recently purchased the steven slate set and was impressed with the sounds... I had this 90's type of nu-metal band I had to produce and wanted to make it sound totally over the top.... so I recorded the drums with maximum isolation so I could really trigger everything perfectly.
The triggering part went smooth as hell..... but again the result gives me the same inaccurate bounce. I then tried to export a midi file and use that as a trigger for the steven slate samples.
As I don't have a midi interface yet for my protools HD7, I transferred the audio to pc and extracted the midi in Cubase SX3. The midi that was recorded then, wasn't accurate either so I manually adjusted the midi notes and velocities and added some missing ghost notes. In the end all the midi notes we're aligned perfectly with the original tracks....
I then inserted the miditracks into protools rewiring them to the drumagog units. Then I bounced the drumagog outputs and placed them in the song.
And voila, again the friggin result isn't aligned.... Drumagog doesn't even produce an accurate interpretation of the midi input....
What 's the matter with this plugin... I've tried every option in the menu, advanced - live settings.... etc... it all results in the same.....
I don't get it... It took me three days to align and perfect the miditracks and now even that doesn't give me an accurate result....
Please, somebody tell me what the hell am I doing wrong here...... .????!!!

Ace
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

Hello,

From your description, it sounds like you may need to adjust your trigger engine settings, as Drumagog seems to be struggling to align the replacement audio. The usual procedures are:

1. Switch between Pyscho-Acoustic and Actual Peak mode
2. Change Auto Align profiles
3. If the replacement samples are different enough in envelope, Auto Align may not be able to successfully line up the incoming and outgoing audio, so sometimes turning off Auto Align helps in extreme cases
4. Increase the "Details" setting if missing ghost notes

Regarding the second part of your post, I'm not sure I'm completely following your description. It sounds like you wanted to use the Steven Slate samples, so you exported your project to Cubase, used Cubase's audio to MIDI conversion, edited the resulting MIDI information and then imported back into Pro Tools. At this point it sounded like you used Drumagog like a software synth to play these MIDI tracks, using the Steven Slate samples. Did you try playing these MIDI tracks back using any other sample-player to see if there was a difference?

In my experience MIDI is not a great way to align new samples with actual audio, as there is no real way to line up the hits. Align the MIDI start time with the transient peak, and you'll be late by whatever the envelope's rise-time is. Align the start of the MIDI note with the zero-crossing at the start of the envelope's rise, and the two sounds used need to be nearly identical in overall envelope, or else every hit will flange.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com