Sound Altering....

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

peachfuzzstudios

Sound Altering....

Post by peachfuzzstudios »

I just purchased Drumagog this week and have been reading the manual when i can. Im very new to it. I shouldnt even be posting this until i spend some more time on it but none the less.

My initial intent for drumagog was to create samples that i had recorded.

For instance, I wanted to sample a drummer's kick and then save gog, and load into drumagog.

I have used the Add from Track, and Add from File feature. The sound that i had previously recorded is NOT the sound that now plays back when the drum is triggered. Its the sample, but seemingly EQ'd differently (in a not good way) What am i doing wrong?

Im probably missing something terribly small, but i figured i would have it answered here if possible.

Thankyou so much for your time.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

I'm sure exactly what is happening, but Drumagog shouldn't alter the sound when it samples a track, or you add saved sample files into a Gog file. Check the "blend" knob and check it at 100% to make sure you are only hearing the new sample by itself, in case the old and new samples don't sound good together.

Also make sure you aren't using the built-in synth, which has some filtering options which will affect the sound of Drumagog.

Otherwise, try Drumagog by itself in a project without any other tracks or plugins, and manually trigger the samples by clicking on the video. This way you can be sure to hear the samples without anything interfering.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
peachfuzzstudios

I really appreciate your response Matthew.

Unfortunately all of those changes have been made. And yet it still is providing a less than flattering form of the sampled piece.

There is a ton of low end missing and it produces a high mid range bump probably around 800 hz. (a bump is an understatement). like i said. just very unflattering.

Any more scenarios would be greatly appreciated.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

You mention this happens even when using Add from File. Can you confirm how you're creating the individual samples that you then import into Drumagog, and if you've checked these samples outside of Drumagog to see how they sound?

You don't mention how Drumagog sounds using it's own samples. Is there any improvement using the Gog files that come with Drumagog?
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
peachfuzzstudios

Before each session, i create an entirely new batch of tracks just for single hits.

I insert Drumagog onto the track and have tried both the add from file and add from track features. I suppose i can be more finicky with the input and threshold, but with the add from file feature, this should not matter correct?

Just a quick question. On the Add from File feature, i should only be putting drumagog on say... a kick track with ONE impulse correct? When i put it on something with more than say 3 or 4 samples it tried to play them back at the same time.

The Default drumagog samples that i got with the PRO version seem to sound like they should, but i have no reference.

Thanks for taking the time with this . i Understand this may seem like a fluke happenstance.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

The Input and Threshold controls only come up when using Add From Track, and they mimic the same controls in the main Drumagog window. When the incoming signal level is above the threshold, Drumagog will sample that hit. There are not any controls when using Add From File, as you simply select between 1 and 384 individual wav or aif files to load into a new Gog file.

I'm not sure I am following your question regarding tracks with one impulse. When using Add from File the track Drumagog is inserted on won't affect the Gog File you're making.

The usual workflow for using Add from Track (i.e. Drumagog making a Gog file from an existing audio track) is to insert Drumagog on your source track. When you open Add from Track, in addition to the input and threshold controls is the number of samples you want Drumagog to get. The minimum is one, but usually the more the better. I typically will use at least 16. When you are ready press the Start button, Drumagog will start waiting for the incoming audio. Press 'play' in you host application and Drumagog will start grabbing samples from the source track. Once Drumagog has added all the samples you want, I like to play the individual samples by selecting the raw sample and pressing the 'play' button in Drumagog (the red triangle in the bottom-left corner). I can then remove the samples I don't like, or go back and get more by re-running the Add from Track option. I can also use the Groups page to lay out where the various Dynamic Groups are, and what samples belong to what groups. Make sure to save your new Gog file.

The Add from File option is for making a new Gog file from an existing number of wav or aiff files. These can come from a 3rd party sample maker, or you can create them yourself by exporting individual drum hits from whichever audio application you are using.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com