Can't trigger positional samples

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

4string

Can't trigger positional samples

Post by 4string »

I have a track with recorded sidestick snare hits. I want to replace the recorded sidestick with Drumagog samples.
I switched to the Sidestick positional samples on the Samples view. However the samples from the Center samples view still trgger.

What am I doing wrong?

The track I am using is a Drum Overhead Mic track with the full kit recorded. The bass drum triggers as well as the sidestick (they are at about the same recorded volume) I think the correct method is to use the resolution setting to stop the bass drum from triggering. Is that the best method?

Thank you
Colin

Drumagog Version 4.07
Pro Tools 7.3.1
MAC PPC G5 2.0 Ghz DualCore, 2.5 Gb RAM, 160 GB Firewire external HDD
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Hi Colin,

In the Samples Tab, make sure that you assign a position to each sample in your "sidestick positional group".

Then in the Main Tab, set the Position Knob to correspond to the position number indicated in the Samples Tab.

Hit play on your transport and determine if the "sidestick group" is being triggered.

As far as distinguishing between the sidestick and bass drum in the overhead mic, I would use the trigger filter on the main tab. Since these two sounds have distinguished (therefore different) frequencies, Drumagog will have an easier time telling the difference between the sidestick and bass drum. You can try the resolution setting, but this may affect the sidestick sound.

I also noticed you own Drumagog v4.07. The v4.10 update is available on our website by logging in under the "Retail Download and Updates" heading on the download page http://www.drumagog.com/download.htm
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
4string

Post by 4string »

Hi Teri - thanks very much, I got Drumagog to work as I needed, and the sidestick samples are now recorded on a seperate track, and conformed to the original hits.

The Trigger Filter didn't work for me, I used the High Pass Filter and the Bass Drum hits triggered samples anyways, probably because I don't know what frequency I should set.
I set the Resolution to 1000 Ms and I only had to edit out 3 samples trggered by Tom hits. That was the quickest method for me, and worked great!

The screen shots you sent aren't the same as mine (upgraded to V4.10 as suggested). In the Position window mine doesn't show 1 etc., it shows center, rimshot, sidestick etc.

I was a little confused on the "assign position to each sample " direction. As far as I can tell, when I click on Position: Sidestick, it brings up 4 samples. At the bottom of the screen each was assigned to Positional Group 4. I tried changing the positional group at the bottom, but I wasn't sure what was going on.
In any case, when I set the Position Knob to Sidestick (once again, no numbers as shown on your screen shot) the Sidestick samples triggered as needed.

So I am a happy camper.

Thanks again for your help. The sidestick insert, just completed, was the last fix on a 16 song live set, where the sound engineer messed up his routing and didn't record the snare on its own track.
Thanks to Drumagog I now have 16 new snare tracks and I can reverb and level set all I want.

Great software!!!

Regards
Colin