record midi output of Drumagog in VST DAW for tweaking ???

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

araw

record midi output of Drumagog in VST DAW for tweaking ???

Post by araw »

Hello,

I read that Drumagog outputs midi, but can I actually record it's MIDI output in Cubase SX3.1?

If I have 5 instances of Drumagog running at the same time, can each instance have their own separate MIDI output channel?

I want to replace all the multitracked drums in one song with BFD or DKFH, then quantize and speed up the tempo.

thanks,

-Araw
Cubase SX3.1, Apple Dual 2.0
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Yes you can.

I use Cubase 5, Drumagog and BFD.

I do a bit of a convoluted method but essentially you can do what you are asking.

My method starts with the drums in Pro Tools on my Mac. I usually have the drum tracks brought to me as I do not record live drums in my room.

I then transfer the audio into Cubase, on my PC. Next, insert Drumagog within each track that you want to replace - kick, snare, toms. In each instance of Drumagog enable the MIDI Out (in the advance page), select a note (i.e. C1 for kick, E1, for snare, etc.) and MIDI channel (i.e., 10). Create a MIDI track with that corresponding MIDI channel.

Now you can record the MIDI generated by Drumagog.

Later you can explode this MIDI track if that makes it easier to do further editing, recomposing, quantizing, etc.

Unless I've been missing something (probably the case), I have needed to 'smooth' Drumagog's generated MIDI velocities.

I use a MIDI-FX plug-in called Velomaster. This acts like an expander/compressor. It allows me to bring up the lower velocities without changing the higher ones. It works great!

After that, I can VERY effectively use BFD to replace the drums.

Also, after you replace the drums, you may find that the original hihat and cymbals need sonic help as well.

Generally with pop/rock it's quite easy to write MIDI for crash cymbals by copying the original parts. But with hihat and ride cymbal it's a bit trickier.

What I've been using to do this recomposing of hihat and ride cymbal is DrumTools Performance Designer. While you are composing, you can have it play BFD as it 'syncs' to your main sequencer. Just compose some parts then drag 'n drop into a MIDI track. It's like a sequencer in a sequencer. This program has some sort of algorithm that creates very convincing parts (velocity & feel). It comes with a ton of great fills and grooves - and so does BFD, too. I do 'borrow' from both these applications, frequently.

Another good technique is after you have your Kick MIDI edited and tweaked, is to duplicate this MIDI track and send the MIDI to Drumagog. Turn on the 'synth' section, select a sine tone, tune down to around 40 Hz (or to the key center of the track) and judiciously mix in with the primary kick track. PHAT!

Drumagog, DrumTools and BFD are the way to go.
araw

Post by araw »

wow Zumbido, thanks for all the detailed info and tips!!! I esp liked your idea for the kick to trigger stuff. I'll get drumagog and give it shot. Glad to hear the whole process is effective.

Araw
Farview
Expert

Post by Farview »

zumbido wrote: Unless I've been missing something (probably the case), I have needed to 'smooth' Drumagog's generated MIDI velocities.

I use a MIDI-FX plug-in called Velomaster. This acts like an expander/compressor. It allows me to bring up the lower velocities without changing the higher ones. It works
On the Advanced page, the knob on the left is 'dynamic tracking' If you set that at 50% or so, it reels in the dynamics for you.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

The 'dynamic tracking' doesn't have any effect on the MIDI velocities.

I can get 'hotter' MIDI velocities by increasing the 'input' level on page one. However, the MIDI velocity levels still vary too much for me. Maybe it's my personal taste that I don't like that much dynamics. :?

Even if I raise the sensitivity level in BFD along with increasing the 'input' level and fiddlin' with the 'dynamic tracking' in Drumagog, it is still not as effective for me as processing with VeloMaster.

It's an extra step, but worth the results.

Apparently, I could do it all in one step if I add the 'VST to DX' adapter and 'DirectiXer' to HomeStudio 2004. (HomeStudio has a lot of limitations, but I can sync my other computers, running PT and Logic, to it while I'm futzing with the drums)

This would save me from creating the MIDI track in Cubase then importing that into HomeStudio and then back to Cubase.

But then what fun is that? :D

If the Drumagog/BFD combo program ever comes out, it'll take care of this for me, I assume.
Larry Sheehan

Post by Larry Sheehan »

Why wouldn't you just compress the audio before Drumagog sees it?
In Nuendo, I insert a comp in insert slot 1, squash to taste and insert drumagog in insert slot 3 (leaving an insert in case I need to EQ the track as well).
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"Why wouldn't you just compress the audio before Drumagog sees it?"

That may help.

I don't have this volume differential if I use a sample (i.e., kick, snare) within Drumagog.

It's when I am generating MIDI from Drumagog, or playing BFD or GigaStudio from Drumagog.

Maybe there's a velocity curve selector within Drumagog? If not, it might be something to be added in the future.

In any event, VeloMaster works.