Latency issues, BFD & Drumagog in Nuendo 3

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

mietek

Latency issues, BFD & Drumagog in Nuendo 3

Post by mietek »

I recently tried this wonderful feature and experienced this latency or offset that I read all about here, Actually bfd was played slightly ahead of my drums, about 9ms. so I tried to delay it in the track editor. It seemed to work, what do you think?
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

If you experience latency issues while using Drumagog BFD or Platinum, it is most likely caused by incorrectly inserting BFD or Drumagog. Make sure to always insert Drumagog first, before you insert BFD. Following this simple rule will avoid any latency issues. If you need to add or remove Drumagog plug-ins, or if you move a Drumagog plug-in from one track to another, make sure to remove BFD, then re-insert it after you’re done making any
changes.
mietek

Post by mietek »

oh what a total bummer, after I started this thread i decided to try again, And this time It was ten times worst cause, the hits were all spread out, like sometimes on time and sometimes up tp 20 ms, And I have tried everything, Including insertng them in the right order nothing works, its starting to really pis sme off, I want this to work so bad, When it does its the best thing ever.

Edit: Actually i didnt notice that the buffersize on my soundcard was reset to 2048 samples, when i change it down to 256 it works lika i first wrote.
But anyway do i have to do it like this everytime, It takes alot cpupower and i usually put it on 2048 when mixing :/
mietek

Post by mietek »

I have to bump this thread cause Ive got these 2 major questions.

1. Why does the buffersize set on my soundcard affect the latency of the triggering.

2. Just at asked in some other thread I read here, Why do the hits vary?
Its not a consistant latency which make it reeeally hard to fix.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

It looks like you've got two things going on. First, the latency of your sound card is directly related to the latency you'll experience in BFD. This is due to the nature of two plugins talking to each other (Drumagog and BFD) within the same session. The latency should be eliminated automatically if you follow the correct insertion rules (always insert Drumagog first). This also means that if you decide to add additional Drumagogs into your project, or remove Drumagogs from your project, BFD must always be removed, then reinserted.

The second issue is the random variation between hits you're experiencing. This is likely caused by auto align. While auto align tries to automatically align the original hits to the BFD generated drums, it sometimes guesses wrong. There are settings located in Drumagog's advanced tab related to auto align (psychoacoustical, actual peak, etc.) I recommend playing with these settings. If all else fails, turn off auto align. If you do this, you'll need to align the first hit by hand, but all subsequent hits will be perfect.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
mietek

Post by mietek »

Actually, Ive tried EVERYTHING you said.
with Auto Align off the sebsequent hits STILL vary, Its barely noticable, but this is the big problem because you cant fix it even by hand, and this sometimes causes phase cancellation which makes it useless for triggering
unless you wanna go in and move every hit , but who wants to do that :(

besides, I am using Drumagog Platinum 4.10 AND the latest BFD build.

I dont know if this has anything to do with that im bouncing the triggered signal, Cause its on the waves i see the variation.
But that would be wierd, cause you have to bounce sooner or later.
mietek

Post by mietek »

Teri & rim, do you have any clue what might be wrong? :S