Drumagog and BFD - lining up hits

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

velvetgeorge

Drumagog and BFD - lining up hits

Post by velvetgeorge »

Maybe I've taken the worn approach on this, but the question seems worth asking:

I have a project with live multitrack drums. For kicks and snares I am replacing with Drumagog Platinum. I also copied both tracks and inserted drumagog set to trigger BFD.
The BFD hits are out of time of course, but not in a constant, predictable amount.
Shouldn't Nuendo3 be compensating for this? Or shouldn't I be able calculate the latency and slide the track to compensate?

I also bounced MIDI out from Drumagog and used that to trigger BFD. But I read that triggering directly was more accurate.

I can bounce the BFD to audio and line it up. But that isn't practical for auditioning sounds.

I am reading through the BFD manual and researching here and at Fxpansion forum. Maybe I missed a simple checkbox or something.

Thanks,

george
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Which DAW are you using? If it's Sonar or Cakewalk, check this.

In BFD, make sure that the 'Drumagog mode' box is checked (in BFD, Options Panel, Engine Options section). Are you using the latest BFD build?

There is a bit of latency with Drumagog - mine says: 3.99 ms. I use the 'SIMPLE' setting (on the 'Advanced' page). But you may need the ADVANCED stting. Also, make sure tweak the 'AUTO-ALIGN' secting (on the 'Advanced' page).

To compensate for any delay, make sure your DAW has 'plug-in delay compensation' and if so, it is active. Otherwise, you'll need to advance-nudge the track.

I experience no delay problems and I use the OLD Cubase 5. Of course, I should qualify that statement.

First, if I am replacing a sound I replace it. I don't try to 'enhance' the old crappy one.

Second a few misalignments, from the original, are not going to be noticed if they are in a range of +/- 1-5 ms.
velvetgeorge

Post by velvetgeorge »

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Nuendo 3 so this should be compensated for automatically.

I haven't had much time to experiment, but it seems like the order I activate each plug changes the outcome.

I'll spend some time testing and documenting the results. Then post my findings.

George
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"seems like the order I activate each plug changes the outcome"

In the beginning... you had have ALL the Drumagogs inserted BEFORE launching BFD. Not sure if that's the case anymore.

I have a template with 8 Drumagogs already in place. If I don't need them all, I set to 'BYPASS'.
mietek

Post by mietek »

velvetgeorge wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm using Nuendo 3 so this should be compensated for automatically.

I haven't had much time to experiment, but it seems like the order I activate each plug changes the outcome.

I'll spend some time testing and documenting the results. Then post my findings.

George
Ive had the EXACT same problem with Nunedo 3, Let me know if you figure it out!

Btw what do you guys mean with tweaking the auto align? isnt there only 2 checkboxes?