Recording to new track in PTLE

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

AlexW

Recording to new track in PTLE

Post by AlexW »

So I can probably mess around and figure it out but maybe someone can give me the straight scoop. Drumagog on two channels is slowing my session down drastically, so I want to print the audio to a new track and disable the real-time replacement. How to? New audio track with the output from the current audio track set the input of the new track? Thanks.
joey_capps

Post by joey_capps »

I'm not familiar with Pro Tools LE, but it sounds like all you have to do is bounce to another track--however that's done in Pro Tools.

I'm unclear, however, as to what you mean by "slowing down." Do you mean you are overloading your systems resources? Is there some sort of timing discrepancy once you run Drumagog? Is the audio already recorded, or are you tracking? Or, is this terminology particular to Pro Tools?

I could be wrong, but this just that this doesn't seem like a Drumagog issue to me.

Cheers,

Joe
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

I think it's a system resources issue; and I'm inserting it on pre-recorded tracks. Playback is fine, but the graphics get all wonky. I'm on a Mac G4 with a single 1.4 GHz processor and 1.5 GB of RAM.

I could solo the track, bounce to disc, and re-import the track; but that seems pretty inefficient. I'll mess with it some tonight and see what I can figure out.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

Got it to work basically as indicated in my first post using bus assignments for inputs and outputs to the various channels.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Don't worry too much about the graphics.

Is the audio 'choking'?

If you want to 'bounce' to another track do this:

Start with your Original audio track, kick for instance. Insert Drumagog and set it up as you like.

Next, select a 'BUSS TO' in the audio track that you have the kick AND Drumagog (this would be the same place that you select a send to a main out). You might select, for instance, 'BUSS 1' - since it's a mono track.

Next, create an adjacent Audio track and set its input to 'BUSS 1' and its output to the same output that you had selected in the Original audio track. Then, engage/select 'record' in this second track. You may also want to name this channel so that when you record it'll name the new audio.

You should be able to monitor the first track (with Drumagog) THROUGH this second track.

When you select 'RECORD' in the transport you'll start the bounce.

You may experience a tiny, unnoticeable delay. If so, it'll be just a few samples. If you zoom into both the original track and bounce track you might observe this delay. Simply nudge the bounced track back a few samples. If you have delay compensation you may not see any delay.

This alignment is important if you are mixing two (or more) kicks. Also pay attention to the phase of the two, as they should NOT move in opposite directions, otherwise you'll lose the low-end due to phase cancellation.

I hope this is helpful.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

If you're having graphics issues, you may want to download the latest update from the download page. There have been several graphics fixes made in the last 6 months (I'm not sure which version of Drumagog you are currently running). To check your version number, go to the advanced tab in drumagog, and click on the "about drumagog" button.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

I purchased it two weeks ago so I'm thinking it's the current version. It wasn't the drumagog graphics so much as all of PTLE. Again, I think it's a system resources issue--everything just slows way down.

At any rate, thanks for the input. As I indicated above, I got it to work and I'm enjoying the program.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

OK, no problem. Just so you're aware, if you purchase Drumagog from a store, you most certainly don't have the latest update, because I release them fairly quickly.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.