Is midi triggering possible?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Danny Danzi

Is midi triggering possible?

Post by Danny Danzi »

Rim, first off thanks for a great program. I'd seriously be lost without it and thank God haven't experienced any of the bugs and issues I've read about on this forum. I do have a slight issue though and I was wondering if you or any of the others could help me please?

I use Sonar 6 Producer Edition and I use a Roland V drums kit. I usually record my drums via midi and then turn them into wave files and then apply drumagog after. Here are my questions...

1. Is it possible to do a split notes to track and run drumagog off of the midi tracks so I don't have to convert the midi tracks to waves all the time? Meaning, could I run drumagog as a software synth by adding a few blank audio tracks and then select drumagog to trigger from the midi tracks I want? If so, can you please tell me how to do this?

2. Is it possible to trigger drumagog in real time from the pulses of my Roland pads? For example, could I create a blank midi track and a blank audio track and run drumagog in the track insert and then select the midi note number I'd like to be triggered? It sure would be cool to be able to use some of the kicks and snares in real time if this is possible.

I've tried all of the above and have had no results. I can only make drumagog work when there are wave files. I don't own BFD and can't really figure out what the midi capabilities of drumagog would be used for in my situation. Do you have any helpful tips for me, or are the above questions I've asked not even possible? Thanks in advance and by the way, the new Steven Slate drums are killer! :)

Sincerely,

Danny Danzi
www.dannydanzi.com
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

I'd record plain ol' MIDI. I don't see why you need to convert a MIDI file to a .wav file.

Make a MIDI track, insert Drumagog and pick a gog, record-arm, smack a V-Drum pad and you should have a sound. You'll need to set up the MIDI in Drumagog, accordingly (i.e., MIDI In, Port, Channel and Note).

You should be able to play, from your V-Drums, straight into Drumagog (via your computer). You'll simply be using the V-Drums as a controller.

If I can, from a keyboard controller, trigger Drumagog live - you should be able, too.

I can also play Drumagog with my bass guitar... Not too useful, but it works.
Danny Danzi

Post by Danny Danzi »

zumbido wrote:I'd record plain ol' MIDI. I don't see why you need to convert a MIDI file to a .wav file.

Make a MIDI track, insert Drumagog and pick a gog, record-arm, smack a V-Drum pad and you should have a sound. You'll need to set up the MIDI in Drumagog, accordingly (i.e., MIDI In, Port, Channel and Note).

You should be able to play, from your V-Drums, straight into Drumagog (via your computer). You'll simply be using the V-Drums as a controller.

If I can, from a keyboard controller, trigger Drumagog live - you should be able, too.

I can also play Drumagog with my bass guitar... Not too useful, but it works.
Thanks for the reply zum, but I can't insert drumagog on a midi track in Sonar 5 or 6. Unless there's some hidden menu I've yet to find, I didn't think this was possible. Direct X/VST's can't be inserted on a midi track. If you know something I don't, can ya hook a brother up? :)

Now, if it can be used as a soft synth (it doesn't show up in my soft synth list) I could probably do it that way. But in doing so, in Sonar I'd have to create a blank audio track and insert drumagog to that empty track and then assign the midi track outs to it...which I HAVE tried with no such luck. If you are using Sonar, can you please post the exact steps you took to achieve this?

As it stands now with the instructions you gave me before, you're saying just create a midi track and insert drumagog. I can't even get that far if you are inserting the plug on the actual midi track. But I wouldn't deny my being clueless at times. LOL! My sincere apologies for my ignorance, it just ain't happenin for me the way you mentioned. Any ideas? Thanks..

Danny
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Sonar user?

Have you investigated this: http://www.drumagog.com/sonar.asp
Danny Danzi

Post by Danny Danzi »

zumbido wrote:Sonar user?

Have you investigated this: http://www.drumagog.com/sonar.asp
Yeah Sonar user indeed. I did try that and purchased the directixer. Maybe I missed a step, but I didn't have any luck, zum. I'll try it again and see how I fair. Thanks for the reply and for your suggestions.

Danny