Pro Tools 7 HD Latency

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

iglooitch

Pro Tools 7 HD Latency

Post by iglooitch »

hi there. .

i just got Drumagog Pro for my HD rig running PT7 and am having latency troubles. i am wanting to just replace and/ or supplement the kick and snare in a prerecorded drumkit. the kick seems to sync great but the snare will flam every so often and doesn't track well on snare fills.

also, when putting in the other mics (overheads, hat, room, etc.), the delay between the samples and original kit mics is pretty bad.

i'm using the Fixed Latency Version as well as the Long Delay Compensation setting in PT with no luck. is it actually possible to use this plug-in just on kicks and snares only AND use the existing drum mics for ambience while keeping all of the tracks locked together?

thanks for the help!

best,
tony
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

You might need to get your calculator out and do a lil' math.

If you can 'measure' the time between each of the snare strokes, in the fills you are having trouble with, you may have to adjust the resolution value. Find the smallest one.

For example: If your tempo is 120 BPM, a quarter note is 500 ms and a sixteenth note is 125 ms.

If the resolution is set HIGHER than 125 ms, Drumagog will NOT trigger consecutive sixteenths. Think of this as a gate - it has to know when to open and close.

Sloppy or buzz fills are difficult to deal with and may need to be done by themselves by tweaking and then return to the original Drumagog setting. OR, split up the track in question with an instance of Drumagog tweaked for each specific track. Maybe a track with just the good ol' 2 & 4 hits and another one or two with the fills.

Nothin's perfect, but Drumagog is the best.

"is it actually possible to use this plug-in just on kicks and snares only AND use the existing drum mics for ambience while keeping all of the tracks locked together?"

Absolutely! In fact you can, if you have BFD, use JUST the ambiance channels in BFD.

I have been using the original hihat, overheads and room mics (from the original drums) AND, mixing gogs with direct BFD sounds AND BFD ambiance channels.

Sometimes I have five tracks (kick, snare, 3 toms) with gogs and a duplicate of these five tracks playing BFD (via Drumagog Platinum). Then, an additional real hihat, two overheads, two or three room mics' tracks - all playing simultaneously.

With all this audio and 17 channels of BFD running - no problems. I do have a dedicated PC for this tho'. :lol:
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Some additional tips:

Try playing with the Auto Align settings on the advanced page. Make sure it's set to "Snare Drums" when you're replacing snares, and "Bass Drums" when you're replacing bass drums.

Drumagog has a mode called "Auto Ducking" that works very well at subtracting the old snare and kick hits out of your overhead tracks. For more information, please see the user's manual: http://www.drumagog.com/drumagogmanual.pdf

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
pete

Re: Pro Tools 7 HD Latency

Post by pete »

[quote="iglooitch"]hi there. .

i just got Drumagog Pro for my HD rig running PT7 and am having latency troubles. i am wanting to just replace and/ or supplement the kick and snare in a prerecorded drumkit. the kick seems to sync great but the snare will flam every so often and doesn't track well on snare fills.

also, when putting in the other mics (overheads, hat, room, etc.), the delay between the samples and original kit mics is pretty bad.

i'm using the Fixed Latency Version as well as the Long Delay Compensation setting in PT with no luck. is it actually possible to use this plug-in just on kicks and snares only AND use the existing drum mics for ambience while keeping all of the tracks locked together?

thanks for the help!

best,
tony[/quote]

I`ve got the same problem with snares and original drum... didnt find a better solution to the problem than recording the gog track & aligning it manually - a lot of work for my assistant!
anyone with a working solution for this problem?
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Here's something I've been doing...

If I've made the decision to use Drumagog, I'm going to totally get rid of the original sound - snare for instance - instead of blending a Gog/BFD with the original.

Start with the original track and duplicate it. Now you have to adjacent tracks.

Insert Drumagog on the first track and select a Gog Snare or direct to BFD. Tweak as required. Also turn the blend completely clockwise so that all you hear is the Gog. Go to the 'Advanced' page and turn on the Ducking.

Next go to the second track and insert a Drumagog. Copy the exact settings you used in the first Drumagog. Now turn the blend completely counter-clockwise. Now you'll hear 100% of the original track. You don't even need to select a gog for this instance. Now, go to the 'Advanced' page and turn on the Ducking to RECEIVE from the first Drumagog (make sure the same GROUP number is selected for both). Tweak the Ducking knobs to eleminate or greatly reduce the original sound but keep all the bleed.

Mix the two tracks together. This'll pretty much take care of any flamming of the original with the Gog.

If you do record the 'Ducked' track, you can further clean off any 'clicks' made from the ducking. Of course, have your lovely assistant do this tedious work. It's a lot easier to cut these out than manually aligning snare samples to the original.

If you a little more skilled with using something like a Drawmer for ducking, by all means use that instead of Drumagog.

I'll repeat the same procedure for the kick.

This technique, while a bit tedious, seems to produce the best results.

I can usually get away for further tracking of other instruments before I microscopically remove any of the lil' ducking clicks. And sometimes they add a desirable 'snap' to the attack.

If I want to add the ambiance channels of BFD with the Gog, I'll add a third adjacent track and insert a third Drumagog and send to BFD.

Anyways, just another way of doing something.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Are you using the latest version of Drumagog (4.10)? Many improvements have been make over the versions, so it's a good idea to have the latest.

The problems you're describing are not actually latency related, but rather auto align related. Most of the time, choosing an appropriate auto align mode in the advanced page solves these problems (and using Advanced Triggering mode).

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
stoneskipper

Post by stoneskipper »

I updated to OS 10.4.9 yesterday and then grabbed the new Drumagog. I was having latency,too. But.... then today it is gone. Could it be that I updated and didn't restart my computer? Or maybe didn't completely take away the plugin and put it back again...?

Anyway, it works and I can work. I'm happy. :D
chrisaiken

Post by chrisaiken »

Sounds like some of you don't have your delay compensation set correctly...you shouldn't get flamming between a snare and your oh's if it's set right.

Chris
raal

heeeeEELP!!!

Post by raal »

stoneskipper wrote:I updated to OS 10.4.9 yesterday and then grabbed the new Drumagog. I was having latency,too. But.... then today it is gone. Could it be that I updated and didn't restart my computer? Or maybe didn't completely take away the plugin and put it back again...?

Anyway, it works and I can work. I'm happy. :D

gog noob here. have PT HD 7.4 - 10.4.8 (maybe i should update to 10.4.9)! installed the latest version of drumagog today ( i think it's 4.10) and i'm having the same latency problems described on this thread.

have tweaked resolution, auto-align ('snare drums' for snares etc.), psychoacoustical/actual peak, and nothing works. the only way i can get it to where it's liveable is by instantiating the NON fixed latency version on 'simple' or 'live' modes.

only using gog samples. no BFD. waiting on steven slate 2.0.

recording the performance of the fixed latency version and nudging is not at all appealing to me.

please tell me i'm doing something wrong... this plug is so cool. :( BTW delay compensation is on in PT.

thank you for your time.
raal

Post by raal »

ok, been playing with gog for hours... steven slate samples arrived today! :)

got gog to work but in a strange way:

if i put the fixed latency plug on the original track, i get the latency everyone's talking about.

if i duplicate the track and put the fixed latency gog plug on that one with no other plug, it seems to work without nudging.:shock: i know this makes no sense but i checked with kick and snare tracks. both behaved the same. worked best with auto-align off.

anyway, it's a great plug. makes samples a breeze to mix in with live drums, and it's FUN!

any feedback or advice about the latency thing would be appreciated.

thanks.