Excited, got demo, now the latency......

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

lamarl

Excited, got demo, now the latency......

Post by lamarl »

OK. So I read the info. I have BFD so I got the demo with thoughts of buying.
Installed DG into digital performer 4.61 and followed all instructions for proper insertion. DG "latency fixed" first then BFD second. Everything shows up properly and I am getting BFD to trigger but unfortunately it unuseably late.
Is there anything I am missing?
If this is an issue then please tell me now and I will wait patiently until it's fixed.
Also note that I am not interested in shifting tracks to compensate for the little bit of math that I expect a computer to be able to handle.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Hi,

There's no need to shift tracks, this is all taken care of automatically by your host. Here are some tips if you're getting latency:

1. Make sure you have the latest BFD version (must be at least 1.5.046)
2. Make sure the "Drumagog Mode" checkbox is checked in your BFD Srttings panel
3. Always insert all your Drumagogs first, before inserting BFD. If you need to add more Drumagogs to your project, remove BFD, add the new Drumagogs, then insert BFD again. In other words, any time the number of Drumagogs in your project changes (either increases or decreases), you need to remove BFD, then reinsert it.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
lamarl

Post by lamarl »

Rim wrote:Hi,

There's no need to shift tracks, this is all taken care of automatically by your host. Here are some tips if you're getting latency:

1. Make sure you have the latest BFD version (must be at least 1.5.046)
2. Make sure the "Drumagog Mode" checkbox is checked in your BFD Srttings panel
3. Always insert all your Drumagogs first, before inserting BFD. If you need to add more Drumagogs to your project, remove BFD, add the new Drumagogs, then insert BFD again. In other words, any time the number of Drumagogs in your project changes (either increases or decreases), you need to remove BFD, then reinsert it.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
All of this criteria was met. I still have about 80ms latency.
Is this as good as it gets?
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

80ms is not right. 0ms is where you should be. Are you inserting BFD onto an audio track, or an instrument track (it should be an audio track).

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
lamarl

Post by lamarl »

Rim wrote:80ms is not right. 0ms is where you should be. Are you inserting BFD onto an audio track, or an instrument track (it should be an audio track).

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
I have to use an instrument track for BFD in Digital Performer. BFD will not show up as an option on audio tracks.
lamarl

Post by lamarl »

So any word? My demo runs out soon and would like to see Gog work for me.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Is anyone else experiencing latency when using Drumagog Platinum with BFD in Digital Performer? It works fine on my DP setup.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

I don't use DP but...

I do use Cubase AND if Drumagog is NOT inserted after I import an audio file, I experience latency.

For example, if I import an audio file, insert Drumagog and then import an additional audio file or a different one to the SAME track, I have to take out the Drumagog and reinsert it. Otherwise, I experience latency on the newly imported audio but not the first one. I SAVE each instance of Drumagog just for this.

If I am using BFD also, that HAS to be inserted LAST (really, LAST).

I have found that EVERY and ALL of the audio needs to be imported FIRST. Then insert all the Drumagogs that you even 'might' need, and LAST insert BFD.

Sometimes, I have to quit Cubase and re-open. This then aligns everything.

This application (Drumagog) is so useful I don't mind the work arounds. I can ALWAYS find something else to do during the application re-launch - coffee, browse the Drumagog forum, etc...
lamarl

Post by lamarl »

Rim wrote:Is anyone else experiencing latency when using Drumagog Platinum with BFD in Digital Performer? It works fine on my DP setup.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
So are you inserting BFD on audio tracks?
This is impossible for me.
DP4.61
lamarl

Post by lamarl »

lamarl wrote:
Rim wrote:Is anyone else experiencing latency when using Drumagog Platinum with BFD in Digital Performer? It works fine on my DP setup.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
So are you inserting BFD on audio tracks?
This is impossible for me.
DP4.61
So Rim, can you please explain to me how you are inserting BFD onto audio tracks in DP?
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Since you posted a few days ago without a response...

Insert Drumagog just as you would any effect (reverb, delay) on an audio track.

In your case on a kick track, for instance.

Then, in Drumagog, select a sound from the menu.

Then tweak.

If you are also running BFD... it's VERY important to launch BFD AFTER every instance of Drumagog has been inserted.

With BFD, same thing, in the instrument window in Drumagog, at the top, pull down and select <BFD>. All the BFD channels appear (i.e., Kick In, Kick Out, Snare Bottom, etc.). Pick the one you want and be sure BFD is loaded with a kit.
lamarl

Post by lamarl »

thanks for your help zumbido. I have done all of this in exact same order etc.
All I can say is, the demo expired. It never worked with BFD in DP without an incredible amount (80ms every time) of latency.
How rim has it working just fine in DP while BFD is inserted on an audio track will never be clear I guess.
So to sum up.....excited, got the demo, experienced latency and never got a clear answer.
Maybe next year......
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Sorry for the delay. It's actually not possible to insert BFD onto an audio track in Digital Performer. Sorry for the incorrect info. I've discovered some latency issues when using DP 5 and Drumagog Platinum. I'm looking into it.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Einar

Post by Einar »

What is BFD??
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"What is BFD?"

BFD is a protocol intended to detect faults in the bidirectional path
between two forwarding engines, including physical interfaces,
subinterfaces, data link(s), and to the extent possible the forwarding
engines themselves, with potentially very low latency. It operates
independently of media, data protocols, and routing protocols. An
additional goal is to provide a single mechanism that can be used for
liveness detection over any media, at any protocol layer, with
a wide range of detection times and overhead, to avoid a proliferation
of different methods.

:shock:

Actually... this is BFD - it's a drum module.