Using drumagog to replace an entire Drum Kit...

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Offspring992

Using drumagog to replace an entire Drum Kit...

Post by Offspring992 »

So this being my first post, I just read about Drumagog just yesterday and I watched the video and listened to all the sound clips and it looks awesome. I am going to be building a "bedroom studio" consisting of a Presonus Firepod and Logic Express just to get going to do some recording for my band and I am definitely going to be getting Drumagog. I have a 2 ghz MacBook w/512 mb of RAM which will be upgraded to 2 gigs any day now. This sounds like a stupid question but I'm asking it anyway. How many Mics will I need if I want to replace a 6 piece drum kit? It's the usual kick, snare, 3 rack toms, and 1 floor tom. I don't think I'm going to replace the cymbals though, except maybe the Hi-hat.
rrhea

Post by rrhea »

We have a similar drum kit and use one 57 in between the first two rack toms, another 57 in between the third rack tom and floor tom. Then, of course, a 57 on the snare and one on the hi-hat. We have a kick drum mic, but only because the drummer already had it. If you're going to be triggering the bass drum, you can get away with using anything there.

I also bought some cheap, but decent AKG condensers for overheads and they sound awesome.

So that's a total of 7 mics, and we get really good results. Other than the condensers, which must sound good in order to get a decent cymbal and room sound... all the other mics can be pretty cheap since you plan to replace them all anyway.

Triggering the hi-hat can be tricky, though, so I'd recommend at least an SM-57 on that in case you need to keep it as is.

Ryan
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

rrhea is on the right track.

All you need from the 'drums' are audio impulses. Drumagog takes it from there.

I'd get individual mics for each drum. You can find inexpensive ones from $10-15 or pick up some used SM57s. You'l also need mic stands/boomstands/clips/cords.

If you have good cymbals and hihat, attempt to make the best audio recordings you can.

If you want to replace the crash cymbals, I suggest simply copying the original part with MIDI and triggering either Drumagog or another sample player.

The trickiest parts are ride cymbals and especially hihats. These are the ones you'll want to get the best recordings of, since you'll probably use the original recordings.

If you incorporate BFD, you can utilize the 3 pairs of ambiance (room, overheads, PZMs) virtual mics instead of real overheads. You will probably get a better 'room' sound this way than in your bedroom.

So your only reall recording concern will be the hihat/ride. Get a good one and a good mic/preamp. And, get good at doing solo hihat/ride cymbal overdubs - better for isolation and editing. :D