Best method to record your own Gog files

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Richard Jones

Best method to record your own Gog files

Post by Richard Jones »

Hi Everybody, Rim,

I want to start creating Gog files from every drummers kit that comes into my studio. (At least the ones that sound good!) I want to record each drum individually so that there is no blead from adjacent drums. My question is how should I have the drummer actually play each drum? How should I record? Should I create a wave file for each hit? What I mean is should he play slow hits one at a time and allow the drum time to decay and should these hits go from soft to loud? How should I have him play? What would be a good number of samples per drum? What about recording cymbals?
Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

I did a search on the forums but couldn't quite find these answers.

Thanks in advance,
Rick Jones
Mike

Post by Mike »

what I did was to hit each drum, and like you said, allow for decay. Do it a few times, at different velocity and if you want different placements. then I had to cut each hit into its own sample file (or trim each region) and then do the add from file/track. If I did the "add from track" on a track with multiple hits, or it was untrimmed, it would keep all of the white space, etc. Each sample had to be exactly where I wanted it to start and end. otherwise you get a noticeable delay before each sample and it won't work right.

hope that helps.

Mike