GOG Files in Reaper

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

pipelineaudio
Expert

GOG Files in Reaper

Post by pipelineaudio »

Tried this in a few hosts. Getting reports of the same from others

When creating gogs, clicking upon a sample often makes it "sticky", dragging that sample around, and in the case of accidentally clicking on another sample, completely rearranging (or worse) the gog you are creating.

This behaviour is also causing chosing which velocity group a sample is in nearly impossible

Attached is a jing video of the problem
http://screencast.com/t/hnH6vbe0
Last edited by Jack on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change Thread Title
Jack
Expert

Re: Still massive mouse bugs in 5.11

Post by Jack »

Aaron,

Yes, this is a known issue for Reaper x64-bit. Our developers are trying to track what's different about Reaper that is causing this issue.

You said you tried it in different hosts. So is this also happening in other programs, and not just Reaper? If so, please let us know exactly which ones.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs
http://www.drumagog.com
pipelineaudio
Expert

Post by pipelineaudio »

I had only tried 5.11 in REAPER, but older versions of Drumagog had this issue in reaper, sound forge vegas, and I think Sonar.

I just tried 5.11 in wavosaur and it seems fine! I will try and find out what reaper and wavosaur are doing different
pipelineaudio
Expert

Post by pipelineaudio »

Uh oh, on the other hand, creating new gogs in wavosaur is causing it to freeze at the point where you enter a name for the gog. Ill see if anyone else can repro
pipelineaudio
Expert

Understanding the new direct fader

Post by pipelineaudio »

If I have, say for my snare sample, 4 files : top, bottom, shell and overheads, then there will be no direct fader right?

If I put top in as the lowest layer, then bottom as room 1, shell as room 3 and then oh as room 4, then top will always be at 100% and the rest of the files level can be varied with the room faders?

Is the direct only available when there are 3 or fewer layers?

Any way to get a direct fader that controls the lowest sample?
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

We've seen the "sticky" mouse behavior with Reaper 64, but not in any other DAW (and we've spent a few thousand hours with Drumagog and SONARx64), so we'd love any more info you can give about your system (system info, especially video card info). Reaper does seem to do some non-standard things with VST plugs, so its proving tough to track down certain GUI issues in there. I know that Rim has been looking into it, though, so hopefully we can find whatever is causing it soon.

With the Wavosaur program (which I'm not too familiar with), does it behave like something is "stealing focus" when typing? Like key presses aren't making it to the plugin?
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
Matt W
Expert

Re: Understanding the new direct fader

Post by Matt W »

The direct fader is only active when:
1. There is one or more room samples in a .gog
2. There is at least one open room slot

In your example, use the regular "output" fader to set the level of your top snare mic, and then adjust the 3 room slot faders (the bottom mic, shell, and OH) to taste.

The room slots can be used for anything a Drumagog user likes (like bottom mics, or sub-harmonics, or distortion, etc), but since the were primarily designed for adding ambience/room sounds to a .gog file the controls will always lean towards that functionality.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
pipelineaudio
Expert

Post by pipelineaudio »

Matt W wrote:With the Wavosaur program (which I'm not too familiar with), does it behave like something is "stealing focus" when typing? Like key presses aren't making it to the plugin?
Yes, and I figure that may be the reaper issue too. Reaper has a behaviour to reserve certain keys and combos for the host focus.

I'm seeing the issue on reaper 32, but Im on windows 7 64 bit, maybe thats a common denominator
pipelineaudio
Expert

Post by pipelineaudio »

Turning down the output won't work in the event that I just want to turn the top mic down, while leaving all the rest up.
pipelineaudio
Expert

GOG Files in Reaper

Post by pipelineaudio »

Perhaps gog creation could be made less painful if we could stack single layer gogs upon each other? Of course they would have to be in the correct order and such, but seems infinitely quicker and less error prone.
Last edited by Jack on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change Thread Title
Matt W
Expert

Re: Creating D5 gogs from gogs?

Post by Matt W »

How do you mean?
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

Then you'll need to leave a room slot open for the Direct fader, there really isn't any more real estate available for the required fader to make a permanent Direct control.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
pipelineaudio
Expert

Post by pipelineaudio »

If you could drag single layer gogs into the sample window. Then you could stack them on top of each other. Of course you'd have to be sure that you had each one in perfect order, but thats fine.
Jack
Expert

Post by Jack »

It's an interesting idea, but by their nature Drumagog 5 GOG files have 4 "layers". So I'm not sure how to do that without totally blowing up all existing GOG files.

With that being said, we are exploring other options for easy importing of multiple samples (including rooms) all at once.
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs
http://www.drumagog.com
pipelineaudio
Expert

Post by pipelineaudio »

How about a mouse modifier like shift or control when clicking on room 1's fader?