drumagog and BFD

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

audioluche

drumagog and BFD

Post by audioluche »

Hi,
I am looking at drummagog and i would like to know if you can load BFD files directly in drummagog or if you have to load everything manualy.
I dont have any of them right now so i dont know how it realy work but any info would be realy appreciated!
Thanks

Luc
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

I believe the best way right now to utilize Drumagog and BFD is the way I do it.

I use the MIDI out from Drumagog to play BFD.

You can start with the original audio track, say a kick, and insert Drumagog. Go to the 'ADVANCED' page select MIDI out, select the MIDI note (that corresponds to the MIDI note in BFD for the desired drum), select the MIDI channel that BFD is set to receive.

Next, make a MIDI track and set it up to 'record' and have it also directed to BFD. I usually start with BFD Stereo.

You can then record the MIDI generated from Drumagog into this track.

What you do with the MIDI is up to you. You can leave it alone or go to the Nth degree by editing - which is what I usually do.

Supposedly a Drumagog/BFD combo application is coming.

This method works great. You'll have to deal with latency but once you figure out the offset it's breeze.
audioluche

Post by audioluche »

Thanks Zumbido,

This is a detailed answer! Do you do this in Pro tools? And if i want to do it by drumagog alone, in wich format are the BFD samples and is it easy to transfer them to a gog format?
Thank you verry much for your time, i realy appreciate it! :wink:
Luc
Nola

Post by Nola »

ProTools unfortunately does not support MIDI out in plugins. This is why I've been waiting for almost a year now for the Drumagog BFD version to be released. Zumbido's suggestion works very well in VST environments, but not RTAS, unfortunately.
davetron5000

Post by davetron5000 »

I thought it did work in ProTools? I downloaded the demo as of yesterday and was able to send midi from drumagog to Reason.
Nola

Post by Nola »

If you have a way to do it, PLEASE do share. I've never been able to do it in PT, and I was told it's because PT does not support MIDI Out in plugins.
davetron5000

Post by davetron5000 »

Well, this is what I did. To be clear, we're talking about drumagog triggering a midi device:

1. Enable the IAC driver in Audio MIDI Setup (Mac only)
2. Put DG on the track in question in PT
3. Set the sample playback volume to the min (don't want to hear the DG sample)
4. Select MIDI Out and choose the IAC device in the list
5. Create an aux track for Reason and put it in there
6. In Reason, add the IAC device as a MIDI device on port B (doesn't matter tho)
7. Route channel one of port B to a ReDrum
8. In the DG plugin, change the note to whatever is needed (C1 triggers channel 1 of a ReDrum)
9. Done

There is noticable latency, but it works great.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

The above is basically how I do it in Cubase on a PC.

It does work great. The latency is an easy work around.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

The latest version of Drumagog does support midi out in all hosts (including Pro Tools).

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.