ducking snare from overheads

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

brownj24

ducking snare from overheads

Post by brownj24 »

Same as a couple other Drumagog users.... I want to ultimately use the program to replace bass drum, toms, and snare. But, I've been having problems mixing the replaced drums with the overheads. I've tried using the ducking technique described in the manual to remove the snare from the overhead tracks, but this results in reducing the volume of the cymbals as well every time there is a snare hit. Am I missing something? It definitely isn't seemless and actually jumps out at you when there's a dip in the overhead tracks while trying to duck out the snare drum.

I've tried to use EQ to remove most of the snare from the overheads, but some of the snare frequencies are desirable for cymbals as well, so that didn't solve my problem although it did help.

Does anyone have a specific technique that has given them excellent results in removing the snare without taking away from the cymbals?
jer
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

The auto-ducking feature actually works amazingly well after it's adjusted properly. It does remove the cymbals from the overhead track as well as the snare, but the idea is to adjust it in such a way that the "hole" it leaves in the overhead track is exactly masked by the new snare hit on the snare track. It takes a little experimentation with the ducking response, ducking time, and ducking level controls.
Of course, when you solo the overhead track it will sound terrible, but the whole idea works on the "masking" phenomenon in human hearing (louder sounds mask quieter ones).

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Have you ever watched Charlie Watts play? Rarely does he play the hihat at the same time as the snare.

He was onto the masking phenomena 40 years ago.