Quick Question

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

dooleyblu

Quick Question

Post by dooleyblu »

I am starting up a new studio and I have a quick question. Dose this program alow you to buy a cheap drumset and then turn it into a great sounding drumset?
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

I would say yes & no.

Drumagog is GREAT for replacing drums (i.e., kick, snare, toms) but not really for replacing hihats, rides and crash cymbals.

Maybe the experts will respond.
Dan Duskin

Post by Dan Duskin »

I thought that was a good answer. Drumagog can make crap bass drums, snares, and toms sound great... but it can't really do much for your cymbals.
STUDIO 201

- Nuendo 3.2.0.1128
- XP Pro SP2 & all updates
- Dual Xeon 2.6GHz
- Matrox G550 v5.93.009
- Hammerfall DSP v2.94.3
- PowercoreFW v1.9.6
- 2xUAD-1 v4.1
- MackieControl + 2 Ext.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Following the consensus on Drumagog (i.e., two opinions)...

After I have replaced the kick, snare and toms with Drumagog, I use DrumTools Performance Designer to compose the cymbal parts.

I have been doing this sort of thing for many years so it has become rather easy and DrumTools makes it even easier.

Copying the crash cymbals from the original part played by the drummer is quite simple. But hihat and ride cymbals are trickier. DrumTools has made it very simple to compose parts or one can use the included library.

I generally use both Drumagog and DrumTools to generate MIDI tracks and then play BFD for a total replacement.

Using these two applications together would allow one to have a cheap drumset, cheap cymbals and cheap mics to create a great sounding drum track - with some work. though.
dooleyblu

Thank you

Post by dooleyblu »

I tried the demo this weekend and some have said drumagog will trigger from a live recording of the whole band. I could not get any good results. Dose this really only work on "single drum per track" input?
Dooley Blue Studios
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 - 2-Gig Mem, Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4,
WD 80GB SATA 7200RPM-OS, WD 80GB IDE 7200RPM-Samples, SB 250GB SATA 7200RPM-Audio, E-MU 0404, eVGA e-GeForce 6200
Cakewalk Sonar 5.0 Producer/ Adobe Audition 1.5
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

You need to have seperate tracks (i.e., kick, snare, seperate toms). You then insert Drumagog, just like any other effect (i.e., reverb, delay). Select the sample that you want to replace with and tweak.

This application works great if done correctly.

before

after

This example demonstrates just how close you can get. Now that I have MIDI for every drum piece (including cymbals thanks to DrumTools) I can pick ANY drum or cymbal to use as a replacement sound. You can now quantize, cut & paste sections, loop, rewrite, etc. - which is what was done to the after example.

What you are hearing in the after version is the Lucite kit in BFD.
dooleyblu

Way cool!

Post by dooleyblu »

I have bluegrass band (no drums) and originally I built the studio so that we can record our CD. I also play and record contemporary Christian music. So I that is what I am needing the drum tracks. So is this would be what I would be looking at if I am to start recording drums?

E-MU 1820M Master-Level Recording System = $500
Drumagog = $280
Drum tools = $150
Gretsch Drums Catalina Birch 5-Piece Drum set +/- $500
Zildjian ZBT 4-Piece Cymbal Set +/- $220
CAD PRO-7 7-Piece Drum Mic Pack = $200
DW 5140 Round Tripod Throne = $80
________________________________________= $2100

That seems like too much of an investment for mabe two songs a month.

Can I farm out the drum tracks to other studios?

How much would that cost?
Dooley Blue Studios
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 - 2-Gig Mem, Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4,
WD 80GB SATA 7200RPM-OS, WD 80GB IDE 7200RPM-Samples, SB 250GB SATA 7200RPM-Audio, E-MU 0404, eVGA e-GeForce 6200
Cakewalk Sonar 5.0 Producer/ Adobe Audition 1.5
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

You might be better off by purchasing something like BFD.

It comes with tons of grooves/loops and fills.

You can 'MIDI note' trigger the grooves or open them in your sequencer and edit/customize them to fit your songs.

BFD sounds as real as it gets. There are add-ons if you need more drumkits.

You can trigger BFD from DrumTools (it has tons of grooves and fills).

You can also trigger BFD from drum pads or electronic kit.