Problem Programming Drums via MIDI - Drumagog 5

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

samth3mancgp

Problem Programming Drums via MIDI - Drumagog 5

Post by samth3mancgp »

Hey everyone,

I have a problem with triggering drumagog using the MIDI in function. The way I have it set up right now is separate instances of drumagog on mono instrument tracks in ProTools 9. Each instance is set to a different MIDI note, and all of the MIDI triggers properly. Doing the actual programming is a little weird because I have to select the instrument track corresponding to whatever part of the kit I want to program, but that isn't the big problem.

The hits being triggered via MIDI are VERY in-accurate. Sometimes a drum will double trigger, and other times it won't trigger certain hits at all. completely random. I am using the advanced triggering mode with delay compensation on. What am I doing wrong? :cry:
Chris M
Expert

Re: Problem Programming Drums via MIDI - Drumagog 5

Post by Chris M »

Hello,

Sometimes there are issues with MIDI note durations being too long and confusing Drumagog with MIDI note off messages. A simple fix should be to shorten all the MIDI notes to as short as possible. In Pro Tools, you should be able to select all midi events on a track and shorten them all as a whole.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs
samth3mancgp

Post by samth3mancgp »

I have tried setting the MIDI notes as short as 64th notes. It still wasn't working quite right? I can try doing it to every MIDI note. Hopefully that works. I'll let you know how it goes.
samth3mancgp

Post by samth3mancgp »

It is a little bit better when I go into slip mode after programming and make the MIDI note lengths as short as they can possibly get. It is still missing some hits completely though and occasionally double triggering a hit. :? Would it help if I posted a sample of what is going on?

Would Drumagog behave differently if I had it on an Audio Track and programmed the MIDI on a separate MIDI track in ProTools? What are my other options to program with Drumagog? I'd really like to be able to program this way, but it just isn't playing back the MIDI I put in very accurately. :(
Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M »

Hello,

Setting it up on an Audio Track and having a separate MIDI track is actually the normal way it should be set up, simply because most DAWs don't recognize Drumagog as an insert on MIDI or instrument tracks. Doing it this way might improve your situation.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs