Drumagog 5 Platinum latency issues

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

kamanchidoyle

Drumagog 5 Platinum latency issues

Post by kamanchidoyle »

Hi guys,

I suppose I should start by saying well done. Am liking the new features and your new plug-in will be a very welcome addition to my tool box IF and WHEN I can get it to work properly. I'm running protools 9.0.1 on a Mac Pro and have had issues from the minute I downloaded the update. A quick word about registration, which was by no means easy. I-lok reg kept prompting error messages. Since I was eager to kick on with my work I just opted for the 'upload licence' approach. However, each time I did this I experienced a form of crash . . . i.e. the reg box would grey out prompting me to locate the licence number on my system. The file path wasn't accessible with my mouse because the registration box was parked right in front of the finder window and couldn't be moved. Each time I tried to quit I got the 'alert' beep from the computer. I eventually figured out (after several more failed attempts to regsiter) that I could still navigate using the cursor keys and Command button on my Mac, (I'm guessing it was intended to be able to navigate with a mouse!?) Let me assure you navigation still wasn't easy due to the fact that the registration box was blocking my view and couldn't be exited without powering off the computer (which wasn't doable until I exited the reg set-up). Needless to say I ended up powering off at the main power button. Not ideal I'm sure you'll agree. Anyway, it's registered but not without some toil.

Which brings me onto my next and main issue. That of latency. While blending my own sample with a gog sample using an instance of Drumagog 5 inserted directly across the track, I started to notice flamming issues. I know no 2 differing samples can have the same waveform so thought maybe it was just the way the transients and subsequent waves were blending. In the interest of posterity, I played with various settings. I had already set the playback engine in ProTools to 1024 samples, Auto Delay Comp set to 'Long', played with the triggering options in Drumagog, played with the transient detail etc etc. So, to fully ensure I wasn't imagining things I switched the blend to fully gog file in Drumagog and bounced down the resulting sound onto a separate audio track. Sure enough the resulting audio was indeed latent. The transient were off enough to confirm what I'd been hearing. Now, I understand that there is always going to be some form of comprimise with certain plug-ins, i.e. switching to live modes etc etc, that's par for the course . . . But this is a more than little frustrating. Indeed I saw somewhere on one of your brief tutorials one of your tech guys nudging the incoming audio to compensate for latency!?? WTF??? Am I missing something? Surely a recently updated product like yours doesn't require such archaic methods to work properly!? Please please please fill me in on what I might be doing wrong here or indeed if other users are experiencing similar problems. The only reason I upgraded to Drumagog 5 is because having recently updated my rig I found drumagog 4 to be buggy. Needlees to say I've found the last few days time-consuming. Apologies if this post comes across as particularly prissy. Just my frustration seeping through.

Regards,

Nick
The Milky Bars are on me!
Jack
Expert

Re: Drumagog 5 Platinum latency issues

Post by Jack »

Nick,

We are sorry that you are experiencing trouble with authorizing via License Files and the latency. I'm sure we can solve both of these:

First we'll tackle the License Files freezing issue. This sounds like your Permissions on your system are not allowing Pace's authorizations to create the files they need to create in order to authorize your system. This can cause the funny business with the box not appearing, freezing, etc.

First thing is to login to the Admin account, and install and authorize Drumagog from this account. Once this is done, Drumagog can then be run from any other account on your system. If this still does not work, follow the next steps:

License file information is saved in a folder on your system. We're going to look at that folder and see if the settings are correct. If they are not, we can change them.

Go to HD:Library:Application Support:PACE Anti-Piracy folder

Right-click (control click) on this folder, and select Get Info

At the bottom of the window, there is a section called Sharing & Permissions

Here, it shows you the different accounts on your computer and what access they have to read and/or write Pace authorizations. On my system, there are 3 accounts: System, Admin, and Everyone.

On the right, you can see each accounts Privilege setting. All must have the Privilege set to Read & Write.

If any of your's are not, we will need to change that. Click the icon at the bottom right of the window (looks like a padlock). It should ask you to enter your account password for your computer.

You will now be able to select what type of Privilege to set each account to. Choose Read & Write for each one of them.

Please let me know if you still have trouble.

Next we'll go over the latency. It sounds like you have the Delay Compensation set up correctly in PT9 (Long mode). First, check that the indicator bar for delay compensation should be in the "green", but if it goes into the "red" then that means that Pro Tools has reached the limit for delay compensation and will not be compensating for any delay at all.

You can also try setting the Trigger Filter to Hi-pass or Low-pass (first two buttons) and adjust the Frequency. You may need to move the Sensitivity bar lower in the Visual Triggering Window. This allows Drumagog to more cleanly focus in on the transients of the hits.

If you're still having issues, what exact operating system ? What other settings are you using in Drumagog? Is there any bleed coming from other mics into the audio track that is being triggered? What size is the project other plugins are being used in the project? You can also send us a small section of the problem track (WAV or MP3 format) that exhibits the problem you are having, and we'd be happy to take a look at it and see what needs to be done to fix the issue.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs
http://www.drumagog.com
kamanchidoyle

Re: Drumagog 5 Platinum latency issues

Post by kamanchidoyle »

Thanks Jack. I'll be sure to get through your suggestions over the next day or two and get back to you. Appreciate the hasty response.

Nick
The Milky Bars are on me!