Making gogs from DR660 samples

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

stewdiodog

Making gogs from DR660 samples

Post by stewdiodog »

i would like to make gogs of the samples from my DR660. while talking to Rim at the NAMM convention, he pointed out that even though the pads on the 660 are touch sensitive, the sample triggered is the same. i want to take a DR660 sample and create a gog file with that same sample triggered at various volumes. doing this with the touch pad on the drum machine would be near impossible. is there a way to import a single sample into drumagog at various volumes? what should the volumes of my loudest and softest hits be? any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.
-Tim
Farview
Expert

Post by Farview »

You don't have to wory about different volumes. Drumagog matches the sample volume to the volume of the trigger signal. You would be OK if you just made a gog out of 5 or 6 hits of the sound. That way, you at least get polyphony, something the drum machine doesn't give you.
stewdiodog

Post by stewdiodog »

thanks for the reply, Farview. however, either i am not understanding your reply or i am am not clear on my problem. the DR-660 only has three or four volumes that it plays the triggered sounds at. in hitting a pad, it is nearly impossible to trigger some of the softer sounds accurately and so, would take a very long time to punch in manually.
i have created my own gogs before, so i am somewhat familiar with the process. what i am hoping to do, is input a single sound (i.e. - a snare hit from the 660) and then MANUALLY change the volume/trigger threshold, etc to make a (sort of) dynamic gog file from a that one sound. is there a way to do this?
if not, what i will do is take the sample and import it to one of my recording programs and change the volume that way. this method will work fine, i think, but be much more time intensive than what i am hoping for.
thanks again for the reply. any help is appreciated.
-Tim
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Tim,

You only need one sample. Drumagog will automatically change the volume of that sample when it plays it to match the volume of the original hit. Polyphony is also automatically supported - you don't need more than one sample to do it.

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
stewdiodog

Post by stewdiodog »

it doesnt SEEM that the volume changes depending on the volume of the hit. i actually wouldnt want that to be the case, as sometimes it is desireable for me to have the same sample triggered at the same volume consistantly regardless of input. i will run some tests with the single sample gogs i made. am i way off on my thinking here? thanks for the reply.
lemix

Post by lemix »

Adjust "Dynamic Tracking " to taste..
good luck,
cheers
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

That's right - either use the "dynamic tracking" control in the advanced tab, or uncheck "dynamic tracking" on the main page (one of the checkboxes).

Best Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
stewdiodog

Post by stewdiodog »

ah - got it. that makes perfect sense. i'll give it a try. thanks for the replies. its nice to visit a forum where the replies are prompt and come directly from the creator of the product in question. :) thanks for your patience and help, Rim!