MIDI In w/ FLStudio?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

bioLogic

MIDI In w/ FLStudio?

Post by bioLogic »

I just got Drumagog, and though I understand its prime use is for drum replacement, I was hoping to get the most out of it by also sending MIDI data to it to "play" the included GOG files like you would a sampler.

From reading the manual, it seems this is possible: "In addition, Drumagog’s
MIDI input allows the use of Drumagog as a live drum source –
perfect for triggering using drum pads." (p. 22)

I also read the section on p. 72:
Manual wrote:1. On Drumagog’s Advanced tab, choose MIDI Input enable.
2. On the MIDI port drop-down box, choose “Internal port”.
3. Choose a MIDI note and channel.
4. On your audio application, create a new MIDI track.
5. On this new MIDI track, choose “Drumagog” as the MIDI
output. If you’re sending MIDI to Drumagog from an external
device, choose the appropriate MIDI input port on this track.
I have done 1-3, but # 4 and 5 don't quite translate the way FLStudio functions with midi. And I wasn't able to select "Drumagog" as a MIDI input option in the "MIDI Options" page of FL, either.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

FLStudio will not let you work with Drumagog as a true VSTi natively, so can work with it as a regular VST effect. From your post, I'm not 100% sure what the original source is (MIDI track, external controller, etc.). The directions in your OP are accurate for using Drumagog with Cubase and Nuendo, but can vary for any other application on the market, as you have found.

I was able to create a track using one of the FLStudio Synths (in this case this would be your MIDI data/track), then insert Drumagog using the Mixer on the corresponding track. Drumagog did detect the synth in my case, and triggered accordingly, without any MIDI configuration in the Advanced Tab.

If you would like Drumagog to behave as a VSTi, there is something sold separately called DirectiXer. There is a trial demo if you follow the link. Drumagog is versatile, and can be used with many host applications in several different situations, so things like this are not built in.

Let me know how this goes.
Last edited by Teri on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
bioLogic

Post by bioLogic »

Teri wrote:From your post, I'm not 100% sure what the original source is (MIDI track, external controller, etc.).
Well, I'm willing to use any method necessary to be able to play these delicious samples via my MIDI keyboard. So whether that would be a "MIDI Out" module or any other method, I'd take it!
Teri wrote:I was able to create a track using on of the FLStudio Synths (in this case this would be your MIDI data/track), then insert Drumagog using the Mixer on the corresponding track. Drumagog did detect the synth in my case, and triggered accordingly, without any MIDI configuration in the Advanced Tab.
Hmm... I haven't tried this. In this case, does that mean that Drumagog was simply detecting the audio input from the synth as a "drum hit," and triggering accordingly? Or was it actually responding to the MIDI? I suppose either way this is a workaround of sorts, though it will eat up some CPU cycles to load up several synths for triggering purposes...

Ah, I just had an inspiration. All I need is to load a sample (very CPU-friendly) of a drum hit or something with a sharp transient, per Drumagog instance, and I should be able to route those to the Mixer and trigger it that way, with very low overhead. I'll let you know if this works. And thanks for responding!
bioLogic

Post by bioLogic »

Got it! All I had to do was load a "MIDI Out" instance, route it to a MIDI port and channel, and then on drumagog's VST Wrapper, tell it to receive data on the same port I had assigned.

Now I can play drumagog as a VSTi!!! Right on...
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

bioLogic wrote:Got it! All I had to do was load a "MIDI Out" instance, route it to a MIDI port and channel, and then on drumagog's VST Wrapper, tell it to receive data on the same port I had assigned.

Now I can play drumagog as a VSTi!!! Right on...
Thanks for your reply. Glad it worked out for you.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.