Midi Out - only works when a sample is loaded?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

psx

Midi Out - only works when a sample is loaded?

Post by psx »

My first attempts at using Drumagog.

I want to use Drumagog with Ableton Live and Reason. We use Live to record our band (separate tracks for kick/snare, guitar, bass, etc). I want to be able to trigger drum sounds in Reason based on what the real drummer is playing.

I've gotten this to almost work in that if I load the techno presets, I hear the gog samples being triggered and the notes are properly sent to Reason.

But I don't want gog to play any samples. I'd rather handle what samples are played in Reason only. But if I take say the techno snare preset and delete the one snare sample provided, I no longer get any midi notes in Reason. Does that make sense? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
psx
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

When using Drumagog's MIDI output, Drumagog will also continue to output its internal samples the normal way, even when MIDI is enabled. Did you try turning down this output using the Output control on the Main tab?
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
psx

Post by psx »

I haven't tried turning down the volume. I had tried muting the sample but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I understand that it'll still play it's internal samples with midi turned on, but what's happening is if I delete the sample(s), the midi out stops working. It feels like there needs to be an additional button in the midi section that's something like "use midi only".

My latest thought as a workaround is to load silent samples. I've created a silence wav file but the trial won't let me load it to test. Could someone else who's purchased gog try this out for me?

Finally, my guess as to why this is happening is that the midi outputted notes need a duration, and this is derived from the sample. Can anyone confirm? This would make sense and would mean that my silent sample would need to be a specific length.

Thanks!
psx