Kick drum doesn't sound right...

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Unknown Gnome

Kick drum doesn't sound right...

Post by Unknown Gnome »

Hi all,

I'm nearing completion of my CD and Drumagog is helping my drum sound a lot, but I have an issue with the kick drum sound.

Every once in a while (maybe once every 10-20 hits) instead of one solid "thump" I get a "thud-ump" instead. When I watch the hit points in visual mode the dots indicating the problem hits are not at the top of the sound wave...maybe half way up the wave.

I was mixing my original bass drum sound somewhere around 50% so I moved it up to about 90% sample sound but it still happens. Tried messing with the sensitivity and it maybe helped a bit but still happens once in a while.

The weird thing is it only happens with the bass drum. :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Is AutoAlign enabled? Did you try working with the AutoAlign settings in the Advanced Tab?
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Unknown Gnome

Post by Unknown Gnome »

Hi Teri and thanks for the reply.

I looked and auto-align is enabled. Is there another menu associated with this function I can mess with? I didn't see much aside from the check box to turn it on or off...
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

From the description of your problem, AutoAlign could be causing this effect. I suggest disabling AutoAlign if it is currently enabled, and determining if this resolves the problem your experiencing. If not, there are additional AutoAlign settings in the Advanced Tab. They're labeled "Actual Peak", "PsychoAcoustical", "Snare Drums", and "Bass Drums/General Use". These are general settings, in that the snare drum setting can be used on bass drum tracks, etc. AutoAlign basically deals with phase alignment, and there is more info in the manual.
Last edited by Teri on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
Unknown Gnome

Post by Unknown Gnome »

Awesome! Thanks, Teri. I ended up just using the Actual Peak option instead of Psycho Acoustical and it seems to have sorted itself out. 8)