no
No votes
maybe (im a dick for saying that)
No votes

Total votes: 2

shredmeister5000

Ddrum triggers

Post by shredmeister5000 »

yo, i've been recording some metal bands recently and some of them have double bass drum sets and i only have 1 sure beta 52a kick drum mic and a POS cad kick mic, i usually get samples using the 52a and then make some gog files, then just use both mics as triggers. AND i was wondering...looking at the ddrum kick triggers online, i was wondering what kind of signals they triggers send, and if i could just plug them directly into my audio interface and then have drumagog replace them.

i would reallly apreciate any input on this anything what-so-ever
Greg
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

If you simply want to do a 100% kick replacement, the quality of the mic isn't a real issue.

All Drumagog needs to see is an audio input. Try a 57 and observe the result.

I tried this and it worked.

Guitar Center Special: Nady StarPower 1 Microphone - $7.99

The mic cable cost more. 8)
Kadmium

Post by Kadmium »

Yes, it works; the triggers are a little bit like a very specific mic, and produce a sort of click sound. Triggers work MUCH better than mics as a drumagog source as there's generally almost no bleed at all, so any transients can be 100% trusted to be actual hits. This is especially useful if the drummer uses a lot of ghost notes. I'm using DDrum Pro triggers on a project at the moment, and it's the best decision I've made for it so far.
shredmeister5000

WOOOO!!!

Post by shredmeister5000 »

thats awesome guys! i have been using crappy mics as of right now, i just wanted something a little more....profesional looking lol. both of you very helpful

thanx
Greg
maskedman72
Expert

Post by maskedman72 »

i use the redshot pro triggers. dont waste your cash on the cheap ones with the 1/4 inch jacks.

you can run them into a mic pre on your interface. i do it all the time for the entire kit.

i also do 100% kick replacement so i just put a sm57 in the kick for reference on playback.
Farview
Expert

Post by Farview »

One thing that you might want to do when using triggers with drumagog is turn down the dynamic response to between 50% and 75%. This helps keep the dynamics of the performance a little more real sounding.
maskedman72
Expert

Post by maskedman72 »

Farview wrote:One thing that you might want to do when using triggers with drumagog is turn down the dynamic response to between 50% and 75%. This helps keep the dynamics of the performance a little more real sounding.
i usually keep it at 50. seems to work well.
Flávio

Post by Flávio »

I usually keep the dynamic track at 0 for HARDCORE, CRUST, AND METAL KICKS
Flávio

Post by Flávio »

sorry... dynamic response :oops:
Shane McCauley

Trigger my drums

Post by Shane McCauley »

I am wanting to Trigger my drums and use drumagog live with my laptop I was curious to know if anyone is doing this.I am glad I see that it looks like you have been doing it. I am wanting to do it live Like the drummer with James Blunt. I have Ddrum triggers and I have Cubase 4.I figure I will need a midi to USB interface.Can you help me and tell me What else would I need to get up a running? and Also configuring it. Thanks in Advance Shane