Drumagog w/ BFD?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

jtrainer

Drumagog w/ BFD?

Post by jtrainer »

hi there,

i have Drumagog unlocked and am having trouble figuring out how to use it with BFD2 or BFD. perhaps i misunderstand its capabilities though. what i would like to do is the following:

i want to use Drumagog to replace all pieces in my studio drum recording. i want to trigger BFD2 samples from kick in/out, snare top/bottom, ride, hat, toms etc with crisp and clean BFD2 samples as well as take advantage of the new features BFD2 has to offer for mixing and tone shaping. i have tried reading the manual and all different sorts of set ups but am not having any luck.

do i have to have a BFD2 instantiation for each specific drum part? (ie: one for kick, snare, hat, toms etc)

or can i use just one instantiation and route the outputs of each to its own new track?

know what i'm saying?

does BFD2 even work like this with Drumagog? or BFD for that matter? (i have both now)

and i also can't figure out how to get the room mics to their own channel...or do i only get one stereo channel of signal from what ever the BFD2 instantiation is on?

basically i want to be able to use drumagog to signal BFD2 from all studio drum tracks and mix them out to their own new tracks, ya know?

am i missing something? or trying to do something that is not possible with this version of Drumagog?
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

Hi,

Drumagog and BFD work seemlessly together. I am aware that you have reviewed the manual, but I suggest taking one more look at the "Using Drumagog with BFD" section which starts on p.63 of the user manual.

First, it is important to remember that when creating a new project, always insert Drumagog first! Drumagog must always be inserted first, before inserting BFD. Otherwise, you may experience latency issues. If you need to
add or remove Drumagogs from your project, make sure to remove BFD, then insert it again after you’re finished.

Next, it is important to follow these directions step-by-step. If there is one step out of order, Drumagog will not be configured correctly.

1. Insert Drumagog Platinum onto your drum tracks. If you’re using Pro Tools HD, Logic, or Digital performer make sure to use the Fixed Latency version.
2. Insert BFD onto an audio track (or instrument track, if your host supports it).
3. Open BFD and load a drum kit.
4. In BFD (v1.5.46), make sure “Drumagog Mode” is checked. This is located in the options pane.
5. Open Drumagog, and choose <BFD> from the folder selection box.
6. Choose a BFD kit piece from the Drumagog sample selection box.
7. Press play on your transport. Drumagog should trigger on your drum track, and you should hear audio coming from the BFD track.

do i have to have a BFD2 instantiation for each specific drum part? (ie: one for kick, snare, hat, toms etc).
You only need one BFD instance open, and then routing takes place within BFD.

or can i use just one instantiation and route the outputs of each to its own new track?
With BFD and Drumagog, Drumagog is used to trigger the sample as well as manipulate to the sound in any manner you wish (with Drumagog features). For instance, Drumagog is inserted on your snare track, and you choose a snare kit piece in BFD. When Drumagog detects the audio information, the BFD snare kit piece will play.

know what i'm saying?
I think so:)

does BFD2 even work like this with Drumagog? or BFD for that matter? (i have both now)
Drumagog works great with BFD version v1.5.46. BFD 2.0 is a new product, and there is a chance that bugs may appear.

and i also can't figure out how to get the room mics to their own channel...or do i only get one stereo channel of signal from what ever the BFD2 instantiation is on?
My understanding is that you can simply turn down the fader that the kit piece is assigned to and let the room sounds play within the mixing environment in BFD. In order for the room sounds to play/trigger in time, it needs to be placed on the original drum track. Perhaps some of the forum users will reply with their preferred configuration. For more information about routing and mixing in BFD, visit www.fxpansion.com .

basically i want to be able to use drumagog to signal BFD2 from all studio drum tracks and mix them out to their own new tracks, ya know?
Drumagog will automatically replace the audio with the BFD sample. If you are looking to mix the orignal audio with the BFD sample, you can choose to use the blend control on the Main tab. Or you can create duplicate tracks of each drum piece. This way you can keep one original, and one with the BFD sample and mix within the audio application. I am not the best to offer advice on routing from BFD into an audio application (if you do not want to create duplicate tracks); so you may want to consult www.fxpansion.com for more information.

am i missing something? or trying to do something that is not possible with this version of Drumagog?
Drumagog BFD and Drumagog Platinum are fully compatible with BFD.
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"and i also can't figure out how to get the room mics to their own channel...or do i only get one stereo channel of signal from what ever the BFD2 instantiation is on?

My understanding is that you can simply turn down the fader that the kit piece is assigned to and let the room sounds play within the mixing environment in BFD. In order for the room sounds to play/trigger in time, it needs to be placed on the original drum track. Perhaps some of the forum users will reply with their preferred configuration. For more information about routing and mixing in BFD, visit www.fxpansion.com . "

I do this ALL THE TIME.

I have totally stopped using any effects on the drums other than BFD's Overheads, Room and PZM channels.

I usually use a kick and snare gog with the BFD ambiance channels.

As far as toms, 50/50 between a gog or BFD, along with the BFD ambiance channels.

Cymbals: always BFD, along with the BFD ambiance channels.

Hihat: ALWAYS the original - I do use a reverb plug-in for this instrument.