Weird delay on midi out?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

knappy

Weird delay on midi out?

Post by knappy »

So i have inserted the drumagog insert on a track and redirected the output to internal midi port. I wanted to try triggering another synth. The midi events are always late, but when i send to like bfd the midi track.... it's fine. But as you can see, there is a considerable delay on the track which makes it a pain for quantizing...

I am using cubase 4.1
and i just installed 4.09c
and have the latest BFD. I need to test before i buy and would like to see what i'm doing wrong before my 14 day trial runs out. :-)
Thanks!

[/img]
Attachments
You an see the delay
You an see the delay
untitled.gif (23.17 KiB) Viewed 9969 times
Teri
Site Admin

Post by Teri »

knappy,

The demo is a full version of Drumagog Platinum, which includes BFD compatibility. Platinum is designed to work with Drumagog with minimal latency. It is more seemless that try to trigger another synth, so it may appear that the latency issue you are experiencing is tied to a certain situation. There is more information about BFD and Drumagog compatibility in the PDF user's guide is available on the download page.

Did you work with the triggering engine settings in the Advanced Tab? For instance, try the Live Triggering Engine instead of the Advanced engine. Even though the advanced setting is the most accurate, it may be the most taxing on your computer. Drumagog, like many other plug-ins, has to look ahead while it’s working in order to more accurately trigger on an incoming drum hit. Any time a plug-in needs to look ahead, it causes a delay, or latency in the audio for that particular track.

Best Regards,
Teri Grossheim
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
knappy

Post by knappy »

Don't get me wrong... The audio is in the right spot... The midi it is creating seems late from a midi event perspective. But the midi track is then used for BFD or some other synth. I just am not sure why the midi event is late. If I quantize it, let's say to tighten the drummer's performance, Everything is early.

I was trying to write the midi first from the audio, then turn off the drumagog and just let the midi event trigger the drum sound. This is so I can layer using combination of BFD and like battery... But the midi is always late on the event list . Odd.

I did try messing with the modes, live, etc... no difference.
Let me clarify again, though. Even though the midi even shows late, the audio sounds correctly if I pipe it to BFD leaving the midi unadjusted. If I quantize, everything that is triggered from that track is early.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Maybe I'm not understanding you post...

But, I'm not sure why you would want to write MIDI, quantize that and then trigger BFD.

Quantize and edit the audio first, then insert DrumagogBFD to directly play BFD. The delay is negligible or very easily 'nudgeable'.

You could also insert more than one Drumagog per track and send/route out accordingly.

What I do is:

1) Record live drums (multitrack).

2) Quantize/edit the audio (if necessary) by using BeatDetective.

3) Insert a Drumagog with appropriate GOG sample (i.e., kick), and insert a second Drumagog and send to BFD. I usually ONLY use the ambiance mics/channels in BFD for the kick and snare and mix with the dry kick and snare Gogs.

I can effectively do this while 'live' tracking, too - to hear the effect of Drumagog.

The delay is a tolerable 6-10 ms.

It's easy to tighten all this up after the drummer leaves. :lol:
knappy

Post by knappy »

I understand the confusion....
I want to completely replace the drummer's performance deleting overheads and hi hats and want to tighten up the performance.
I'm using Cubase 4 and beat detective is not an option. I guess what you are saying is that drumagog will send the midi where it wants (small delay) and that the bfd will compensate. I'm going to try sending the midi to a synth and see if it "understands" the late MIDI should be on the right beat.

Does that make sense?
knappy

Post by knappy »

OK... so i tested with recording my output to midi.

Delayed midi (as you can see from the top post)

Routed to Drumagog... no problem... sound plays when it's supposed to

Routed to batter... the delayed midi is....well delayed... I can then slide the midi to the proper hit points (lined up with the audio track and it works fine.

Is it a bfd issue? I'm confused because drumagog is what's deciding where to write the MIDI event.

Thanks
jwnc

Post by jwnc »

HI, I also get this in Nuendo 3. I record the hits from DG into a midi track and they are always delayed on the track.

Another wierd thing is if I output the midi into a midi track and have ezdrummer on there and try to trigger ez in realtime its all out of sync but the drums seems to play the velocity properly. But if I just record the midi out and route it to ezdrummer and play it the hits seem very light.

Any ideas?
Jason