Please help

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

jmacstudio

Please help

Post by jmacstudio »

Hi, I have recently purchased Drumagog. How many of you use it with Pro Tools? I have several questions....

For kick and toms, it is pretty easy....I can generally get the settings okay. For toms, I usually edit out everything except for the hits (I find this easier than gating them)...simple. Okay, here's the hard part. Snare drum...Because snare hits are so dynamic, the settings for one part of a song need to be different than another part (different thresholds, sensitivity, resolution, etc..). Automation is just about IMPOSSIBLE with drumagog (atleast for me anyway)......the control knobs are so sensitive with the mouse, it would be impossible to automate it that I am aware of.....Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Drumagog can only be used an insert in Pro Tools (it doesn't show up as an Audiosuite plugin)....Therefore, I have to make a seperate track for EACH part of the song that needs different settings for the snare drum....and run Druamgog as an insert on every single track. Now, I can get decent sounds this way, and finally get the results I want with the snare drum this way, but it TAKES FOREVER, not to mention, I end up wasting 8 or so tracks JUST FOR THE SNARE DRUM!!! (this is a major pain because I'm already limited to 32 tracks working with Pro Tools). There has to be an easier way to do this. Should I really have to use 8 tracks just for a snare drum? Now I know someone will reply saying "no, you shouldn't have to....just get a good snare sound to begin with." Look...this question is regarding drumagog. I have chosen to use this program....I like having the option of changing my snare tones in the mixing process. Any Drumagog users, can you please help me? I also use limiters and compressors on each track in order to trigger Druamgog the appropriate way....so I end up with 8 tracks each with atleast 3 plugins on each track...just doesn't seem right to me....
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Why do you need all those compressors, limiters and more BEFORE Drumagog?

You might be trying too hard. Too much processing BEFORE Drumagog.

What is it that you are trying to compensate for BEFORE Drumagog?

More information needed.

You might be better off generating MIDI from Drumagog, writing a MIDI track and then sending this to a sampler (or back to Drumagog) after you tweak the MIDI. You could break the MIDI up into different MIDI channels to play different sounds. This would drastically save on audio tracks.

This is basically the method I use. Read my post on this topic: record midi output of Drumagog in VST DAW for tweaking ???
jmacstudio

Post by jmacstudio »

I need the limiters and compressors in order to trigger the sound exactly how I want it to be. I don't really have any midi options...I'm just micing a drum set...
maskedman72
Expert

Re: Please help

Post by maskedman72 »

[quote="jmacstudio"]
Should I really have to use 8 tracks just for a snare drum? [quote]

well....yes, if that is what it takes to get the triggering right for the snare traks than yes.

what i do is usually only 3 tracks.

track 1 is for the hard snare hits.
track 2 is for the softer snare hits
track 3 is for the snare rolls

now after you get drumagog to properly trigger all of the 3 (or 8 in your case) individual tracks, use the "bounce to disc" command and bounce all of your snare tracks (3 in my case, 8 in your case)down to 1 track and drag that track onto the grid and delete/remove the all of the previous tracks from the session and youre done. it can take a long time and it can be a pain but as someone else on this forum said drumagog is an art.

good luck -jay
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Just a note on the controls in Drumagog - if you click a knob, then while holding down the mouse button, move the mouse far away from the knob (drawing big circles around the knob), you can get much better resolution for adjusting the knob. This is how they are designed to be used. Also, if you hold down cntl, you can switch to a linear knob mode instead of circular.

Regards,
Rim Buntinas
Wavemachine Labs
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Also, have you tried using advanced triggering mode? It's usually much better in terms of tracking. You may not need to make as many changes to the controls while using advanced mode. NOTE: make sure the slider in the advanced page is set to the middle for best results.

Regards,
Rim
jmacstudio

Post by jmacstudio »

thanks guys...i'm going to try all of this as soon as i get a chance. right now i'm tracking a band, but as soon as that's done, i'm going to try. thanks for the replies