Some hits is out of sync.

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Tormentor

Some hits is out of sync.

Post by Tormentor »

I´m triggering the snare with drumagog in Pro Tools and bounce it to a new audio file in wav.
On some hits I hear a flam between the real snare trak and the new triggerd snare track.
Why is that?

Its not an ALL just every tenth or something.
(I have very good transients so this is not the problem)
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Drum replacing is an art, not a science.

It sounds as if you are 'reinforcing' instead of replacing. If you are doing a total replace, I'd say you will NOT notice a difference in the overall performance.

However, if you are reinforcing the original sound with an additional sound, you'll do best by recording the second sound and then moving the 'flam' hits manually to match the original. Yes, it's very tedious (that's the art).
lemix

Post by lemix »

Tormentor
Flamming is normal, as DG does introduce latency. BTW, what version PT ?
On an HD system the ADC will pull it up perfectly.
Make sure you select "advanced" trigger mode AND phase align. I'm not sure what it's called exactly..the last check box at the bottom of the first page.
That way the latency will be constant, and you can easily nudge the whole track into place. Usually it is in the ~45ms range.
Also..loop the "flamming" part and look at the visual trigger display ! You might have to adjust that spot a bit. It is normal.
I usually record a ballpark destination track, then revisit the problem spots and do a "quick punch" in PT..
good luck, :)
cheers
Tormentor

Post by Tormentor »

[quote="lemix"]Tormentor
Flamming is normal, as DG does introduce latency. BTW, what version PT ?

I use Pro tool 6.7 Le Rack.
yes, i always nudge the track in samples so it would work if ALL hits were delayed the same time but as I said now and then there is a little glich that create a flam.

I usally replace all drums expt the snare which i blend in the real track for natural gostnotes.

Maybe its even better to trigger all strong hit (the 2 & 4) with midi and trigger it from the NNXT in reason and then "only" fly in drumagog on the complicated snarefills??

to hear what i´m serching for listen at. www.studioseven.se
John Lance

Post by John Lance »

So far I've had really good results (current version) and with no latency. The "smacks" have been dead on with the original.

That is not in Pro-Tools however.

Some tracks I've used Drumagog on so far though have required quite a bit of fiddling to make it all automatic, and sometimes it has required doing edits to the source file to produce true silence in-between the desired hits.
Reaper•Melodyne Studio 4.1.1.011•Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit•Intel Q6600•8 Gig Mem•Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56•Motu PCI-424 24io 2408•Mackie 800R