Denormals with Drumagog?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

John Lance

Denormals with Drumagog?

Post by John Lance »

I am using Nuendo 4 and getting denormals when I pause a song. I clicked all of the Drumagog instances to off and the denormals situation went away.

Can anyone confirm?

I am using simple processing in Drumagog Pro version 4.10 and I also have the filter enabled and set to bandpass for the triggering, sometimes with high Q.

It does not happen when a project is first loaded. It only happens after having played a few measures and stopping. I am using 3 instances at the moment. I've tried disabling other plugs. It is not those. The CPU continues to spike until I hit play, or manage to disable the instances of Drumagog.

For those not knowing what denormals are, it is when the Intel and AMD processors shift into a mode that tries to keep accuracy in calculations that are having exceedingly small results. It results in extremely high CPU usage.
Reaper•Melodyne Studio 4.1.1.011•Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit•Intel Q6600•8 Gig Mem•Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56•Motu PCI-424 24io 2408•Mackie 800R
John Lance

Post by John Lance »

Ah ha! It is the trigger filter doing this. I can set all trigger filters to off and the problem does not happen.

I sometimes work with drummers that aren't clean with the drums, and have bad dynamics. I have to use the trigger filter there (and other stuff).

Rim or Teri, I hope you can verify this and get it fixed. I need the bandpass triggering. Thanks.
Reaper•Melodyne Studio 4.1.1.011•Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit•Intel Q6600•8 Gig Mem•Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56•Motu PCI-424 24io 2408•Mackie 800R
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

John,

Drumagog has anti-denormal code built in, so it shouldn't be a denormal issue. In any case, I'll look into it. Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,
Rim Buntinas
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
John Lance

Post by John Lance »

Also, I have Nuendo 4 set to process the plugs all of the time. I don't have the automatic shutdown enabled when audio is not running through them.

I may give that a try. I've been concerned about reverbs and such shutting off and didn't want to fiddle with a new feature like that yet. But maybe it is called for here.