telstar

Struggling with D5.1 Plug-ins Hosting

Post by telstar »

Hello & thanks for your insights!

Application = Cakewalk Sonar 8.5
ADK Pro SR9000 Laptop (Clevo Model D900C, XP Pro S3, 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550@2.83Ghz
4G DDR2@399Mhz

ezdrummer, BFD, BFD2 and several other drum apps.

Drumagog & iLok install went smoothly

I have watched the Plug-in Hosting video. It was clear and yet confusing. You describe 1-instance of D5 on a track yet you end your demo with a full drum set. If I recall correctly there was no discussion about the output mixer. How do I use it with an ezdrummer, BFD, BFD2, etc???? If I am only dealing with one instance (snare for example) of Drumagog per track, how does the mixer come into play. I've read the manual over and over regarding the Output Mixer and don't have a handle on what it is saying. A more detailed example would help. I am replacing snare, kick, 3-toms, hi-hat & 2-cymbals.

I am in the early stages of using D5 and have been able to get an instance of ezdrummer snare working. I have tried the BFD2-Drumagog plugin and it has crashed Sonar on the 2 times I've tried. The Sonar crashing and BFD2, I will have to deal with on another post.

In conclusion:

How do I implement the 8-channels of the OUTPUT MIXER?? A detailed explanation would be appreciated.

Regards........
Jack
Expert

Re: Struggling with D5.1 Plug-ins Hosting

Post by Jack »

Hello,

1) The full drum kit you heard at the end of the tutorial video is the full recording drum kit. We were only replacing one sound with the instance of Drumagog. You were just listening to the track being played back with the rest of the tracks from the same recording.

2) The Drumagog Plugin Mixer is not used for playing back kick, snare, toms, hi-hat all at once. It's simply to allow you to adjust the levels of the plugin's multiple outputs (i.e. Direct signal, Overhead, Ambient 1, Ambient 2, etc).

As we explain in the manual, to use Drumagog and say, EZDrummer, and replace your full drum kit you will need 8 separate instances of Drumagog running. Each running on its own track, each hosting a separate instance of EZDrummer, and each instance of EZDrummer having the one corresponding drum sound loaded (i.e. snare on the snare track, kick on the kick track, etc).

3) Regarding the crashing, make sure you're running the latest BFD2 version. There have been earlier builds that have crashing issues, but the most recent versions of proven to be really stable.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Goodall
WaveMachine Labs
http://www.drumagog.com
neilwilkes
Expert

Post by neilwilkes »

Hi Jack.

I am also having terrible difficulty getting the plugins to trigger properly.
I obviously have something wrong, but cannot figure out what it is - the video on YouTube is no help at all..
I can see the MIDI ingormation getting into, say BFD2 but that is all.
I can click on the drum in BFD2 and hear it back via the Drumagog instance but I cannot, no matter what I try, get it to trigger properly.
This applies to every single Drum plugin on my system.

What am I getting wrong?
MIDI note makes no difference (the default should work on C3 anyway)
Mix fader is all the way to plugin.
The Audio STream indicator is lighting in BFD, but something is not getting through to it.

Help desperately needed, please....
Nuendo 5, 5.5 & 6 and Cubase 6,7 & 7.5 with WK-ID Controller.
Fully 64-bit Intel Xeon E5-2687W 8-Core CPU with 32GB Quad Channel RAM
Adam A7 x 5, RME RayDAT 1 into 2 RME ADI-8 DS, Tascam DA-88 to RME ADI-8.
Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M »

Hello,

The easiest way to get BFD2 set up with Drumagog is to get Drumagog triggering properly first. Once you are satisfied with how it is triggering, add BFD2 in the Plugins tab. Load a drum in BFD2, right click it, and select 'Start MIDI Learn.' Playing back the track you intend to replace should trigger Drumagog, which will send a MIDI note to BFD2, which will automatically recognize it. Click 'Done' to confirm.

If this doesn't work, make sure the Blend slider (in the 'Main' tab) is all the way to the right,. Otherwise, settings in BFD2 might be preventing it from working. However, with a fresh Drumagog plugin and a fresh BFD2 plugin, this method should work.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs
neilwilkes
Expert

Post by neilwilkes »

Chris M wrote:Hello,

The easiest way to get BFD2 set up with Drumagog is to get Drumagog triggering properly first. Once you are satisfied with how it is triggering, add BFD2 in the Plugins tab. Load a drum in BFD2, right click it, and select 'Start MIDI Learn.' Playing back the track you intend to replace should trigger Drumagog, which will send a MIDI note to BFD2, which will automatically recognize it. Click 'Done' to confirm.

If this doesn't work, make sure the Blend slider (in the 'Main' tab) is all the way to the right,. Otherwise, settings in BFD2 might be preventing it from working. However, with a fresh Drumagog plugin and a fresh BFD2 plugin, this method should work.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs
Got this in the other thread - one of them should be deleted (I guess my accidental duplicate one, leaving this one alone?)

Anyway, the "learn" function is now working in BFD2, yet it is all very odd because I never used to have to do this.
I think there is a bug in D5 though, as it says it is using C3 but BFD2 is getting C5 instead.....
Nuendo 5, 5.5 & 6 and Cubase 6,7 & 7.5 with WK-ID Controller.
Fully 64-bit Intel Xeon E5-2687W 8-Core CPU with 32GB Quad Channel RAM
Adam A7 x 5, RME RayDAT 1 into 2 RME ADI-8 DS, Tascam DA-88 to RME ADI-8.