Differences in Latency between versions 4 and 5

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

samth3mancgp

Differences in Latency between versions 4 and 5

Post by samth3mancgp »

The new version of drumagog seems to behave differently for me interms of latency. In version 4 there was a drumagog with fixed latency and then there was one that was meant for DAWs that don't have automatic delay compensation... (AKA Protools LE and M-powered :roll: ) I'm using M-powered 8.0.4

Version 5 only comes with one option to choose from. I get similar results in terms of latency compared to the old version only when I use the live triggering mode. This seems to sacrifice triggering accuracy though. The advanced mode introduces about 1920 samples of delay that I have figured out how to compensate for by nudging the tracks back by the sample amount of samples produced by drumagog. Everything sounds fine and that solved my problem, but why is it like this in Drumagog 5 but not in 4? Am I missing something?

It does feel a bit safer to me to know that the delay is being more "perfectly" compensated for than settling for inaccurate triggering and only "a little delay" but this seems like an odd change.
Rim
Site Admin

Re: Differences in Latency between versions 4 and 5

Post by Rim »

Drumagog 5 is always "Fixed Latency" now, so the default latency (at 44.1k) is 3528 samples (80ms). In this mode, Drumagog uses the best triggering engine (advanced triggering). In the settings tab, you can change to live mode, which is similar to Drumagog 4's Simple triggering mode. This has 2ms of latency. Also, you have the option of using Advanced triggering mode, but lowering the latency (there's a drop down box for that). In these lower latency modes, the accuracy can be a little less.

In Drumagog 5, whenever you switch triggering modes or latency settings, you need to save your session, close and restart your audio program in order for the settings to take effect. This is a trade off for not having two Drumagog versions (fixed latency and normal).

Thanks,
Rim
samth3mancgp

Post by samth3mancgp »

the new triggering engine seems to catch all of the hits much more accurately in the advanced mode. this causes tons of latency for the tracks i have the plugin on and I have to do delay compensation by nudging the tracks back by the amount of delay in Protools M-Powered. I seem to have it down now. I can edit the track using the live mode to get the timing right, then make Drumagog inactive after changing back to advanced mode and loading it up again. Theres no need to shut out of ProTools completely. then all I have to do is nudge my edited track!

I guess this is just how I will have to work from now on? I feel somewhat more at ease knowing that I rid myself of ALL latency by doing my own delay compensation.
mb66

Post by mb66 »

I use PT LE and the way you just described (fixed latency and nudge the track) is the way I have always used version 4. I continue using 5 the same way.
neilwilkes
Expert

Post by neilwilkes »

Rim wrote:Drumagog 5 is always "Fixed Latency" now, so the default latency (at 44.1k) is 3528 samples (80ms). In this mode, Drumagog uses the best triggering engine (advanced triggering). In the settings tab, you can change to live mode, which is similar to Drumagog 4's Simple triggering mode. This has 2ms of latency. Also, you have the option of using Advanced triggering mode, but lowering the latency (there's a drop down box for that). In these lower latency modes, the accuracy can be a little less.

In Drumagog 5, whenever you switch triggering modes or latency settings, you need to save your session, close and restart your audio program in order for the settings to take effect. This is a trade off for not having two Drumagog versions (fixed latency and normal).

Thanks,
Rim
Hi Rim.
I am seeing some odd latency issues in Nuendo 5.1 too - which is supposed to have full PDC.
What causes it is uncertain right now, it could be swapping GOG files (which is all I did) or it could be something else.
All started in sync, then after removing a D5 instance I noticed the other 2 were around 80ms late - just the number on the settings page, even though I had not altered anything there.
Closed/Reopened the project and the latency was gone.
Nuendo 5, 5.5 & 6 and Cubase 6,7 & 7.5 with WK-ID Controller.
Fully 64-bit Intel Xeon E5-2687W 8-Core CPU with 32GB Quad Channel RAM
Adam A7 x 5, RME RayDAT 1 into 2 RME ADI-8 DS, Tascam DA-88 to RME ADI-8.
Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W »

Just to clarify, the other Drumagog instances got 80ms off when you un-instantiated an instance, or they got off when selecting a different GOG file?
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.
www.drumagog.com
neilwilkes
Expert

Post by neilwilkes »

Matt W wrote:Just to clarify, the other Drumagog instances got 80ms off when you un-instantiated an instance, or they got off when selecting a different GOG file?
Uncertain, as I had done both operations.
Will dig deeper today & try to nail it down
Nuendo 5, 5.5 & 6 and Cubase 6,7 & 7.5 with WK-ID Controller.
Fully 64-bit Intel Xeon E5-2687W 8-Core CPU with 32GB Quad Channel RAM
Adam A7 x 5, RME RayDAT 1 into 2 RME ADI-8 DS, Tascam DA-88 to RME ADI-8.