Cubase 8.5 Windows 10, Drumagog crashes or will not load

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

gregb41

Cubase 8.5 Windows 10, Drumagog crashes or will not load

Post by gregb41 »

Cubase 8.5 Windows 10, Drumagog 5.21, 64 crashes or will not load. I have tried uninstalling, double checked that Drumagog is loading into program files, steinberg, vst plugings. I am using the current drivers for the ilock, Drumagog 5.21. I am on a MSI mobo, I7, windows 10 64 bit, rme fireface 800, with 32 gigs of ram and a SSD. Are there any workarounds to get drumagog to work, sometimes it will load, but most of the time it crashes. I have tried trashing my Cubase preferences, it might work for a day and then the problem comes back. Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks
Corey W
Expert

Re: Cubase 8.5 Windows 10, Drumagog crashes or will not load

Post by Corey W »

Hi Greg,
When you are uninstalling/reinstalling Drumagog 5 are you making sure to trash the VST plugin itself?
Using the Windows uninstaller is not the best technique, you should be manually trashing the Drumagog 5 folder (save your Gog Files first!) and the VST plugin file.

When Cubase is crashing, do you get any error messages? What exactly do they say?

Have you tried creating a brand new session in Cubase to see if Drumagog 5 will perform well and act stable or is all of your usage in existing sessions?

-Corey
gregb41

Post by gregb41 »

Hello Corey, Thank for your quick response. I did everything you said, as far as uninstalling, and trashing the drumagog folder.
The problem I now have, a empty project with no FX, audio or midi tracks, will load Drumagog with no problem. The problem is, I do this for a living and I have several peoples projects already started. If I try to load some ones project and add drumagog I get the crash message Are there any workarounds with projects that I have been working on in the last year to use Drumagog.
Also, if I try to open a old project that was saved with Drumagog, it will not open in Cubase 8.5.
I love Drumagog and have used it since version 3 and have tons of gog files.
Whatever help you can offer me, would be great. Thank, Greg B
Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W »

Because Drumagog 5 is working in brand new sessions and not existing ones it may be a resource issue with your computer. I understand you have a lot of RAM but it goes beyond that.
Are your existing sessions filled with a lot of tracks and a lot of active plugins?
Scramble
Expert

Post by Scramble »

I'm also getting this in Cubase 8 (not 8.5) on Windows 10. I've been trying to open a project tonight that I have been working on this week, and I'm getting the 'A serious error has occured...' message. The problem disappeared when I moved Drumagog out of my VST folder. This has also happened on other projects on Cubase 8 on W10.

The project is one that has a lot of tracks and a lot of active plugins, although nothing excessive. (I have 32Gb RAM, using only about 8Gb, so RAM isn't an issue.)

(I've been using Drumagog for many years and I have to say that it's always been unstable in this way, even the earlier versions, and I'm talking different computers, and Windows versions going back to XP. Once a project started getting really big, if you had left some Drumagog plugins active, you could be assured that this would cause problems, until you removed Drumagog. So I think the problem lies in Drumagog, and has for a long time. But Drumagog is great, though, I've been comparing it to Trigger on some really difficult tom parts, and Drumagog was better at detecting when the tom hit really started, so I don't want to abandon it.)
Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W »

So you hit the nail on the head with issues in your project that are very track and plugin heavy. Drumagog 5 is extremely CPU intensive. This has nothing to do with RAM, purely CPU power.
We are trying to make sure future builds of Drumagog are much more CPU efficient. For the time being you can stick to the basics of freezing tracks and increasing the project buffer rate to decrease CPU power consumed.
metl4evr

Post by metl4evr »

Scramble wrote:I'm also getting this in Cubase 8 (not 8.5) on Windows 10. I've been trying to open a project tonight that I have been working on this week, and I'm getting the 'A serious error has occured...' message. The problem disappeared when I moved Drumagog out of my VST folder. This has also happened on other projects on Cubase 8 on W10.

The project is one that has a lot of tracks and a lot of active plugins, although nothing excessive. (I have 32Gb RAM, using only about 8Gb, so RAM isn't an issue.)

(I've been using Drumagog for many years and I have to say that it's always been unstable in this way, even the earlier versions, and I'm talking different computers, and Windows versions going back to XP. Once a project started getting really big, if you had left some Drumagog plugins active, you could be assured that this would cause problems, until you removed Drumagog. So I think the problem lies in Drumagog, and has for a long time. But Drumagog is great, though, I've been comparing it to Trigger on some really difficult tom parts, and Drumagog was better at detecting when the tom hit really started, so I don't want to abandon it.)
Not to keep an old thread going, but +1 here.

I want to say this is NOT a CPU issue. I feel like it is conflicting with something else within Cubase. I've noticed this happening in CPU intensive projects primarily, but I've seen it happen with nothing but a few tracks and some VSTi's going too. "A Serious error has occured.... " cascading error.

Not to keep harping but I also posted about this in another thread. And I asked this over there too: would the crash logs help at all??
Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W »

Unfortunately in most cases the crash logs do not help, but you can send it to the Drumagog support email and I can take a look at it.
What is extremely helpful is finding a path to causing the error/crash that can be reproduced. This is something we can then use to fix any potential issues.
I have spent hours trying to get Cubase to crash on my computers and not once have I been able to get the error messages you are all seeing.
I trust there is something going on, possibly related to Cubase, but it is not global (effecting all Steinberg customers). All signs (currently) point to localized PC issues.
We care about our customers and would love to help further, but at this time, we simply do not have enough information to work with.