Automating Sensitivity in Pro Tools 11

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

nob turner

Automating Sensitivity in Pro Tools 11

Post by nob turner »

I'm trying to trigger a sample over a live drum track in PT11.3.1. There are hits on the original track that are significantly softer or louder than the average. In order to have the hits trigger properly, I need to adjust the sensitivity of the plug. What I've found today is that the setting often doesn't return to the default after my change, even though it appears that it does so in the automation display in PT. Also, I have to crank the sensitivity WAY down around -27db most of the time, on a snare drum that peaks near full-scale at times. In that range, the resolution in the automation display in PT is terrible. Further, the automation display doesn't show the threshold adjustment I made in db, but in %, and not even accurately. This seems hopelessly broken to me. Someone tell me that I'm wrong, that there's a way to make this work!

I used to do this all the time in Drumagog 4. It was immensely frustrating and embarrassing to promise to a client that I could fix this track, only to find that the plug seems to be dysfunctional.

I'm also concerned that this forum seems to be a ghost town - there's very little activity here. Did I upgrade to an abandoned piece of software?
Corey W
Expert

Re: Automating Sensitivity in Pro Tools 11

Post by Corey W »

Hi nob turner,
The automation reflecting in % as opposed to dB was a change Avid made when switching over to AAX plug-in format and is a major undertaking to change. I will add this to our bug list so our developer can take a look at it in the near future.
As far as reading back the automation after writing movements to the sensitivity threshold, there definitely seems to be some issues there as well. I will make sure that gets added to the bug list for investigation as well.

You shouldn't have to have the sensitivity threshold down to -27dB for hits that are peaking at full volume. Are you getting no trigger response when you move the threshold of the sensitivity up even though the dynamic tracking is showing that you are under the peak of the transient?

-Corey
nob turner

Post by nob turner »

Hmmm... PT 11 has been out for, what, 2 years? and the developer (rim, i assume) hasn't made it compatible?

yes, when i raise the trigger sensitivity, i don't get response. the lack of tracking of the automation data makes the plugin unusable on some tracks. if the performance i am triggering from is extremely un-dynamic, then it's ok. otherwise... pfffft.

so... does nobody use or support this plugin any more? it took a week to get a response to my original post, the plugin has problems with a 2-year-old version of the most popular DAW software... it's discouraging, to say the least.
Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W »

Drumagog 5 has been compatible with Pro Tools 11 since it was originally released.

This issue with the automation may just be related to the latest update to 11.3.1. We haven't noticed this issue previously or heard of it from other users yet.

Drumagog 5 is still used and supported and you can expect to see updates coming soon. You can always directly email support@drumagog.com to get very quick answers to your questions.

If you want to send a few seconds of your original audio track to the 'support' email, I can take a look at it and see why your trigger sensitivity may not be responding correctly.

-Corey