Downloading the free kits

Discussions regarding iGOG for the iPhone

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

timbo

Downloading the free kits

Post by timbo »

Hi,

Great app - having a lot of fun with it already but the in-app downloading of the new free kits keeps dropping out. I can force it to resume by quitting and restarting iGOG but it's rather frustrating, considering the size of the files.

I'm pretty sure it's not my wireless, as everything else is working fine.

Latest 3.1.2 on an iPhone 3G.

Looking forward to more!

Tim
Rim
Site Admin

Re: Downloading the free kits

Post by Rim »

Tim,

Thanks for letting us know. Can you describe what you mean by "dropping out" a bit more? Does it hang, or does it quit somehow?

Keep in mind that the samples are huge, and the progress bar will stop and start as it's loading samples. It could take up to 5-10 minutes on some of them.

Thanks,
Rim
iguoh

Post by iguoh »

I seem to be facing a similar problem. I just purchased iGOG 5 minutes ago. I am not sure if it is because each download takes a very long time. The download status bar moves a little and stops for a very long time. I am not sure if the download has hung or it is just slow. I tried a few kits and they were all the same.
iguoh

Post by iguoh »

I have given up downloading the free kits. I waited for more than 15 minutes and the download just gets stuck half-way and refuses to continue. I tried a few kits and they were the same. Please fix this. This app has potential but it seems to be buggy.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

OK, a question, are you downloading the free kits using a wifi connection, or using the 3G (phone connection)? Downloading using the 3G connection will be almost impossible. The free kits are hunderds of MB in size, so it may take 30 minutes or more at this speed. A wifi connection should take about 5 minutes or so.

It should never truly "hang". If there's a problem with the connection, you should get a message, so I am thinking it's just moving very slowly.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Rim
iguoh

Post by iguoh »

Hi,

I am downloading using a wifi connection on a 12Mbps cable broadband. If it takes 30 minutes, that may explain what happened. It's just odd though because downloading the iGOG application only took a few minutes on the iTunes store.

Cheers,
Ivan

Rim wrote:OK, a question, are you downloading the free kits using a wifi connection, or using the 3G (phone connection)? Downloading using the 3G connection will be almost impossible. The free kits are hunderds of MB in size, so it may take 30 minutes or more at this speed. A wifi connection should take about 5 minutes or so.

It should never truly "hang". If there's a problem with the connection, you should get a message, so I am thinking it's just moving very slowly.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Rim
iguoh

Post by iguoh »

Ok, I managed to download the kits. There is nothing wrong, it just takes very long. Each kit takes between 15-30 minutes to download.
Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim »

Thanks for trying it again. I'm glad that worked. It really depends on the kit, as they are all different sizes...

Thanks,
Rim