How do you choose your sounds?

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

guest4254

How do you choose your sounds?

Post by guest4254 »

Curious how you folks go about choosing/auditioning which sound to use for which drum...How do you know when it's right?

Trouble is I've got too many samples to listen to...Steven Slate 1 & 2...Vintage Drums...Rock Drums...you get the idea. It seems so tedious to go from sample to sample, and spend an hour, just to find a good kick drum. Then once you listen back with the music, it doesn't match with the snare, or not right for that particular song, and back to the drawing board...

What do you folks use as a starting point? What particular sounds work best with particular types of music?

I could use a second, third, or tenth opinion/option.

Thanks,

H
Supersonic
Expert

Post by Supersonic »

I find the best way is to audition samples while your playing the song... listen in context. Also, make sure you are triggering the hardest hits by manipulating the input knob in Dgog and/or change the gain on the wav. This way you are likely hearing the hits that SHOULD be triggering. If you can't get there quick that way, try and create new genre specific folders (metal/rock/pop/hiphop/trance etc...) and copy your favs to these folders. Make sure these folders are only one level deep, just like the other folders in the Drumagog GOGS folder. (wow, I just said folders like 10 times :shock: ) If you have them by genre then it should cut down the audition time significantly.

Hope this helps,
E.
Supersonic Samples @ Drumagog
Heavy Hitters Edition Coming Soon!!!