Metal! Tips...

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

CPT

Metal! Tips...

Post by CPT »

Can anyone give me some tips on trigging "Blast beats" i'm having a hard time with both the kick and Snare. What are the best settings? Actual peak, est?

Thanks,

Joe
hulljaja

Post by hulljaja »

A really good way is to have an expander/gate under drumagog to lower the noise floor beneath the transients of both instuments. Then make sure you tune your input filter for frequencies that are more or less unique to the drum (i.e. 200-220 Hz for snare).

scott
Farview
Expert

Post by Farview »

The easiest way to do this is to use Ddrum triggers when you record the performance. You can just plug them into you mic preamp like you would a mic.

Beyond that, I've found that with fast stuff you need to turn off 'auto align' and use actual peak. The rest is just getting rid of as much bleed as you can and tuning the snare high so that it goes 'pop!' no matter how hard you hit it.

This kind of thing has always been a pain without triggers. Most of the time when they are doing the blast beat, they are also beating the crap out of an open hihat 3 inches away from the snare that they are lightly tapping on.
producedb

Edit the Kick and Snare

Post by producedb »

First when tracking use a trigger as Farview suggested then when going to editing use the strip silence to get the unwanted noise between the hits. It's a pain the ass and takes some time but you can get some very clean blast beats.

Anyone want to hear some blast samples send me a message! I work with a lot od blast and grind drummers.