Sample Recommendation

Moderators: Rim, Corey W

Ruffels

Sample Recommendation

Post by Ruffels »

Hi All
Just bought Drumagog Pro. I like some of the samples (kicks some snares) but I find the tom samples are somewhat flat and the snares a little lifeless. There doesn't seem to be enough decay on the samples (ie ring) or depth somehow.

I record mainly rock (not as heavy as metal)/adult contemporary. My favourite kit sounds are Kenny Aranoff's (lonesome Jubilee) or Carlos Vega (deceased, played with James Taylor).

Out of the CD sets that are available can anyone recommend the best or most useful?

Thanks
Dan Duskin

Post by Dan Duskin »

I've only tried Vintage Drums, so I can't tell you the differences... however, the Vintage Drums samples are far more realistic and natural than what comes with Drumagog Pro. They also have plenty of good toms :)
STUDIO 201

- Nuendo 3.2.0.1128
- XP Pro SP2 & all updates
- Dual Xeon 2.6GHz
- Matrox G550 v5.93.009
- Hammerfall DSP v2.94.3
- PowercoreFW v1.9.6
- 2xUAD-1 v4.1
- MackieControl + 2 Ext.
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Maybe Rim will give us an update for the Drumagog/BFD interface.

I almost always use Drumagog to trigger BFD. They have a vast library.

If the Drumagog/BFD interface is soon in coming, I'd get it and into BFD.

Also, if you have GigaStudio 3, the Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums are amazing.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'll second the Dan's Vintage Drums samples. they do sound better than most of the stock drumagog samples. Still, you need to add EQ, compression, etc. to get a "modern rock" sound.

Mike
Ruffels

Re: Sample Recommendation

Post by Ruffels »

Thanks Guys
I've purchased the Vintage Drum samples and I'll see how that works. That BFD thing sounds pretty cool although much more expensive. I thought it was a kit though. How do you trigger individual drums?
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

BFD comes with 6 or 7 matched drum kits. It also has 'extras' of single instruments (i.e., cymbals, snares, etc.)

You can also mix the kits up. You might like a Ludwig snare and a DW kick.

What sets BFD apart from straight samples is the 'bleed'.

It also has overhead, room and PZM mics for ambiance.

Every aspect is controllable. The hihat is EXTENSIVE.

There are additional sets that you can purchase for MORE kits. Beware, giant-size libraries.

My opinion is that this is the best option out there right now. Well, the Larry Seyer Acoustics Drums might be... but you need GigaStudio 3 and that only runs on Windows.
Ruffels

Re: drum samples

Post by Ruffels »

So, regarding BFD...you can use drumagog to drive the samples in BFD the same as these other packages?
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

"So, regarding BFD...you can use drumagog to drive the samples in BFD the same as these other packages?"

Not the same.

You play BFD via the MIDI out from Drumagog.

The other sound options, mentioned above, are loaded directly into Drumagog (gog files).

I wouldn't recommend doing Drumagog-to-BFD in a live situation - way too much latency.

My method is to start with original audio tracks (i.e., kick, snare, toms), insert Drumagog and set up the MIDI out in the 'Advanced' page. Send this MIDI to an adjacent track and record. You can monitor what is going on by sending this MIDI to BFD.

I have found the MIDI generated by Drumagog not to be as 'smooth' as I like so I insert 'VeloMaster' before BFD to tweak to taste. This 'problem' may have been adjusted in later Drumagog updates - I haven't needed to replace any drums recently.

You have to 'manage' your offsets. But after doing enough of this one can come up with a method.

I'm hoping the rumored Drumagog/BFD will perform all this seemlessly.
Ruffels

Re: Drum Samples

Post by Ruffels »

Thanks for that response. When is that BFD/drumagog thingy supposed to come out? I'll try these other sets first.

Hey Zumbido I see you have an Avalon 737. I've been salivating over those for years. How do you find it? For the money? In what areas do you use it? Anything cheaper that compares?

Thanks again!
zumbido
Expert

Post by zumbido »

Rim has 'hinted' about Drumagog/BFD and there has been mild discussion on 'kvraudio.com' - but that's it.

... waiting...

I use the 737 for vocals, bass guitar and acoustic guitar. I like it fine. I run it into the Panasonic WZAD96 for conversion.
Keessi

Post by Keessi »

Why don't you make your own samples? just a thought...
nexis

Try these samples....

Post by nexis »

I found a new set of really GREAT samples.

http://www.smartloops.com/index.htm

You can listen to mp3's of the samples and even download then if you decide to make a purchase.

Joe
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

zumbido wrote:Rim has 'hinted' about Drumagog/BFD and there has been mild discussion on 'kvraudio.com' - but that's it.

... waiting...

I use the 737 for vocals, bass guitar and acoustic guitar. I like it fine. I run it into the Panasonic WZAD96 for conversion.
I have had the amek CIB. love it to bits.
Did try 737 before I spent $3000 0r so on the CIB. NO regrets, its nice work, great EQ
good pre, ok comp, It was recomended to me from people who have both 737 and Amek CIB. I found the 737 a bit harsh myself. still nice work. what ever you get in that range will be great.
G4Mac laptop 1.67gig 2Gig Ram. Nuendo 3 RME Fireface

Thanks,

Jackson
Andrew07

Post by Andrew07 »

Check out Steven Slate's drums samples. I got mine a couple weeks ago and I couldn't say more good things about it. For a home recording dude recording in a less-than-ideal room these things have been a life saver.

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/

They sound kick ass right out of the box and the ease of use with Drumagog is second to none. They also just started shipping the discs with .wav AND GOG format.